Info WARNING: LP leak with Omni-Swivel on Atomic M1!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rsingler

Scuba Instructor, Tinkerer in Brass
Staff member
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I had a customer bring in an M1 set for biennial service. He noted parenthetically that on a recent dive he had "foamy" air bubbles intermittently appearing between the hose nut and the regulator. A little hose twist, and the issue would disappear. I figured that maybe the hose end o-ring got sheared during a hose change, and a simple o-ring switch would take care of the problem. Service was uneventful, as the reg was in good condition. I changed the hose o-rings with the kit o-rings and also disassembled and serviced the Omni-Swivel 2 which he used at the second stage end, using the Omni-Swivel service kit. Testing went just fine, and no leaks when submerged. I reattached the Omni-Swivel to his 60" primary hose, and to my surprise, it leaked!

As with most mis-adventures, this problem was an alignment of holes in the Swiss Cheese. Here we go:

As you can see, the M1 differs from the rest of the Atomic Fleet in part because of an extra thick heat sink barrel nut. Where the T2 has a 9.74mm nipple, the M1 is restricted to 8.37mm by the thick nut.
1651171564067.jpeg

Atomic also has a fairly generous chamfer on the inside of the barrel to prevent o-ring shear on hose attachment:
1651171656822.jpeg

Finally, Omni-Swivel has a deep sealing o-ring placement, compared with (for example) a DGX standard hose end:
1651171772055.jpeg

1651171749163.jpeg

as well as the Atomic hose that comes with the M1:
IMG_20220428_160955.jpg

Consequences? (See next post)

Here's your standard hose-to-reg construct.
A barrel nipple screws into a hose nut with an internal sealing o-ring on the hose end shaft.
1651171858945.png

The hose nut screws tight against the second stage (actually against the barrel nut), so the hose shaft and sealing o-ring can rotate inside the barrel. In fact, most hoses will shift in and out in the barrel after tightening, anywhere from 0.25-1.0mm.
1651171887454.png

Now add in the extra large barrel nut on the Atomic M1, and couple it with a large chamfer at the end of the barrel:
1651171953468.png

When the hose is pushed in after tightening the hose nut, no problem!
But let the hose twist and pull out a hair during a dive, and bingo! The hose end o-ring is just barely sealing, and occasionally leaks.
1651172063277.png

1651172081335.png

The solution was to just switch to a standard (slightly shorter) Atomic barrel nut from the heat sink nut when the Omni-Swivel is used. If my diver decides to go ice diving and needs the heat sink? He should probably sacrifice the Omni-Swivel on this reg.
1651172347421.jpeg

(Oops! The jam nut is facing the wrong way in the pic. My bad!)

I'll let Atomic and Omni-Swivel know, but I ain't expecting much. Since Atomic uses common barrels among models (excepting materiel), I wouldn't expect them to change over this, though a shorter chamfer is probably not a bad idea. That's just wasted sealing surface, IMO. That thick sealing nut makes sense from a heat radiation standpoint, but if the Omni-Swivel nut loosens even a little with that barely engaged center post o-ring, we're talking a HUGE and rapid gas loss.

As for Omni-Swivel, having such a deep o-ring land on that center barb is also part of the problem, IMO.

Just when you think there is a “standard” standard someone comes along and changes things. The Omni is a pretty good heat sink in its own right, I liked the old M1 nut/sink better than this new type.

It would appear that the consequence was your not waiting for his next post :wink:

I am just always so eager and in great anticipation and excitement for Rob's posts :)

This is what Atomic calls, jam nut?
Yes, the jam nut.

Well, I submitted a contact form to Atomic Aquatics with a reference to this thread. We'll see if anything comes of it.

To my pleasant surprise, when I reached out to OmniSwivel International, the owner's wife handed him the phone! We just spent a pleasant 15 minutes discussing the issue, and I'll be sending him the analysis for his consideration. Apparently he also did a similar modification of the AGA omniswivel to allow military technicians to reach the seal with a curved pick. I guess no one has taught them how to use a double-hook pick. In any case, something might actually happen at that end. We'll see...

Looks to me that its Atomic that mess up!!

Machine the nut down or counter bore it and don't make a huge chanfer.

If it was mine it would be in the lathe.

Or if you don't want to touch the reg, shorten the omi swivel nut, on the face.

I've experienced the same with my M1s, namely with aftermarket hoses made offshore. Changed hoses and the problem went away (at least in my case).

Back
Top Bottom