Sharkfest, Morehead City, North Carolina August 6th-8th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lulubelle, I don't have a real hard copy resource. I've been diving with sharks for so long I tend to recognize them from memory. I saw one that I couldn't recognize on the Spar two years ago in April that was either a husky blue or a skinny mako...it was too far away to be sure....probably the biggest shark I have ever been in the water with I saw on the Parker in September 10 or 12 years ago. I ain't speculating on what type it was since it was murky, but it was a huge fish....Morgan Wells once told me he saw a GDGW the size of a submarine on the WR4 back in the day, so there are some substantial creatures out there...

I refer to sharks other than sand tigers as NASTY sharks (Not A Sand Tiger Y'all)
Mike

Love the NASTY shark acronym. I'll get better at ID over time I'm sure. I'm not sure I'd know exactly what to do with an aggressive shark other than not provoke it, not spearfish near it, and not be too near it's food source.

@RobinT - GW's aren't inherently all dangerous but if you're in an environment where large shark are known to be, you had better know how to handle being with large predators. My point being it's not a beginner environment. Sharks of any species are like dogs, some are friendly, inquisitive , shy or aggressive. A diver has to know how to deal with all kinds of personalities. I've been lucky so far, the only aggressive shark I've experienced was a young Sand Tiger and it was just inquisitive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom