Sharkfest, Morehead City, North Carolina August 6th-8th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lulubelle, that is great. A bull shark?

Looking forward to meeting you too and everyone else. It sounds like South Carolina has lots of shark so hopefully some more will venture North for us to view.

South Carolina? :confused:

robin:D

Robin, that little sandtiger with the bitten off dorsal has now become a pet/pet project for me. I have seen her on the Titan twice since and she just hangs out on the deck like a puppy. I am going to see if she sticks around through the fall/winter and if she comes back next year. She is so docile as to be almost friendly and I can make the run to the wreck from my house in less than an hour.
Come back soon.
Mike

Robin, that little sandtiger with the bitten off dorsal has now become a pet/pet project for me. I have seen her on the Titan twice since and she just hangs out on the deck like a puppy. I am going to see if she sticks around through the fall/winter and if she comes back next year. She is so docile as to be almost friendly and I can make the run to the wreck from my house in less than an hour.
Come back soon.
Mike

Awesome! I would love to hear reports on her. She was a cutie and I got a bit of video of her.

So where do the sharks go in wintertime? Do they just go out deeper with the Gulf Stream? Or do they go somewhere else?

Come back soon.
Mike

Mike, do you have a favorite source for people to learn shark ID? I saw a smaller shark yesterday which did not look like a Sandie, was not a Sand Bar shark, but I don't know what it was. Two dorsal, two pectoral fins, and I can't remember the rest. Not a Sandie looking snout though.

Lulubelle, that is great. A bull shark?

Yeah, I know, it looks like a bull. I haven't found anyone making a Sand Tiger shark, but am having a necklace made out of a tooth I picked up.

South Carolina? :confused:

She's a blond!:wink:
I am referring to the many articles lately about shark sightings in South Carolina.
The Shrimp fisherman have been having a hard time with sharks attacking their nets and have been complaining about the sharks being protected.

Mike, do you have a favorite source for people to learn shark ID? I saw a smaller shark yesterday which did not look like a Sandie, was not a Sand Bar shark, but I don't know what it was. Two dorsal, two pectoral fins, and I can't remember the rest. Not a Sandie looking snout though.

Yeah, I know, it looks like a bull. I haven't found anyone making a Sand Tiger shark, but am having a necklace made out of a tooth I picked up.

I like to use this site for shark info:
SHARK CLASSIFICATION- Enchanted Learning Software

Robin I pretty much see sharks all year. The only months I am not in the water a lot are Jan/Feb, but then if we go out toward the gulf stream the water warms enough to hold the sand tigers and I see them then. I saw a bull shark a couple years ago in March on the Indra. I think they move as much for food as they do for water temperatures, but there are so many of them anymore I really am not sure what they do. Apparently the GDGWs move past here in the winter going south and spring going north. I need to remember that......

lulubelle, I don't have a real hard copy resource. I've been diving with sharks for so long I tend to recognize them from memory. I saw one that I couldn't recognize on the Spar two years ago in April that was either a husky blue or a skinny mako...it was too far away to be sure....probably the biggest shark I have ever been in the water with I saw on the Parker in September 10 or 12 years ago. I ain't speculating on what type it was since it was murky, but it was a huge fish....Morgan Wells once told me he saw a GDGW the size of a submarine on the WR4 back in the day, so there are some substantial creatures out there...

I refer to sharks other than sand tigers as NASTY sharks (Not A Sand Tiger Y'all)
Mike

thanks Mike! I was guessing they just stay in the Gulf Stream with their food source. :wink:

we are difinitely coming back, just don't know when. Ron and I watched the video again (the one here: Unique Diver Gifts by Dive Travel, I bought it for Ron for Xmas last year) and all he could say is "Holy #@&(%%$!!! look at that vis! We gotta go back!!" :D I also love all the videos they have on the Olympus website for that reason, it gives you a real sense of what you will probably see... if the vis is good.

@Mike - NASTY - that's funny :)
I was told there was GW spotted from below and above, I believe last season in the GYoA. This is why I don't recommend these dives to non AOW. You just never know what you might have to deal with and a bad insident with a shark is a detriment to the sharks who live there as well as to the dive industry.
I'll post this again for those interested: Shark School

just because a GW is in the water, doesn't mean something bad will happen. GW sharks are permanent residents in Calif waters and they are sighted on a regular basis around Catalina, Anacapa, and Santa Barbara islands (great food source = sea lions). Divers actually love seeing them out there! Dr. Bill, a marine biologist and member here on SB, lives on Catalina and shoots videos which are for sale. He has seen quite a few of them underwater, while diving solo. He told us that a pair regularly hang out around a deeper dive site there. So, just because a GW may be in the ocean somewhere in area, it doesn't mean divers are in danger. I certainly wouldn't spearfish if one was sighted, but then I don't do that anyhow!

Back
Top Bottom