Shark diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had three night dives at Cocos, I understand they are no longer done, For anyone who has recently been there, is that the case?
They were cancelled following the death of the woman from New York and never allowed again, as far as I know. It wasn't the small sharks feeding on the reef that were the issue, but the big guys who showed up from time to time. The first time I was there, when they were still doing them, a big Galapagos shark showed up and circled the other panga/group, just visible in the darkness.

I did that night dive in Cocos in 2004. Only one available in that trip.
We could spot some big guys circling under the boat(Under Sea Hunter) in the evening.

Man this sounds extreme

As this thread is in the basic forum, I presume that you are a relatively new diver, and based on your location in Colombia, have not experienced any dives with Emerald Charters or other operators in close proximity to Jupiter, Florida yet.

I don’t know if there is any operation in the continental USA that has spent more total diver hours diving with sharks, but please understand that Emerald has been running shark dives for well over a decade. I’ve been an occasional patron have had the chance to dive with, and photograph at very close range many species including Tiger, Lemon, Caribbean Reef, Blacktip, Dusky, Sand Bar, Silky, Nurse, Bull, Scalloped Hammerhead, and Great Hammerhead sharks when using Emerald. Their protocols may “sound extreme” to you, but they are actually quite prudent, logical, and effective. I know of several other dive operations that enforce similar parameters for shark dives.

As this thread is in the basic forum, I presume that you are a relatively new diver, and based on your location in Colombia, have not experienced any dives with Emerald Charters or other operators in close proximity to Jupiter, Florida yet.

I don’t know if there is any operation in the continental USA that has spent more total diver hours diving with sharks, but please understand that Emerald has been running shark dives for well over a decade. I’ve been an occasional patron have had the chance to dive with, and photograph at very close range many species including Tiger, Lemon, Caribbean Reef, Blacktip, Dusky, Sand Bar, Silky, Nurse, Bull, Scalloped Hammerhead, and Great Hammerhead sharks when using Emerald. Their protocols may “sound extreme” to you, but they are actually quite prudent, logical, and effective. I know of several other dive operations that enforce similar parameters for shark dives.
I don't think anyone is questioning that they are safe. But it is fair to question if they are doing more than is necessary. What may be logical to us may be irrelevant to a shark, who tend to hunt with mechanisms (like electric-field sensors) that care nothing about colors. Are there documented attacks on yellow wetsuits and white fins? More so than on black wetsuits and black fins?

I can tell you with a certainty that spearfishermen with white tanks would get pestered 10 times more often than those with bare metal tanks. Even a white marker rag on a down line would draw them in.
After discussing it we decided it mimicked flesh colors of wounded fish.

Intentionally looking for sharks is akin to getting of the 4 train at 125th street back in the 70-80’s...why?

DM of Red Sea Aggressor used a red DSMB attached to his BCD and white flag attached to a weighted line to attract Oceanic Whitetip Sharks. 2 of them came in. I had a great time filming them, as shown, below:

This is from Emerald Charters, Jupiter, FL Emerald Charters | Jupiter Scuba Diving at it's Best

Sharks feed by contrast. No white, yellow, or pink fins, masks, or gear allowed; black is preferred. The shark feeder has final say on your gear color for your safety!

You will need to wear a full wetsuit including gloves. It is best to cover all your skin. If your fins are slip on, wear a pair of black socks to cover your ankles. If you have blond hair or long hair, wear a beanie or hood.
Is it color contrast or brightness contrast that matters?

I have been on several shark feed dives but not with the big players like tigers and bulls. These dives were with reef and nurse sharks. I have hot pink fins and I wear a hot pink swim cap and have had no issues with the sharks. I think it really depends on the species. Keep in mind, too, that a lot of these feeding dives are on a schedule and the sharks know when the dinner bell is ringing by the sound of the incoming boat. They are very accustomed to divers and I've never seen any aggression during the dive.

Back
Top Bottom