shallow dives in SE Florida or Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hasn't decimated the reefs yet. To my eyes physical damage from touching/standing on/anchoring on corals is the threat that's readily apparent. The reefs in the keys look pretty healthy to me.

I hasn't decimated the reefs yet. To my eyes physical damage from touching/standing on/anchoring on corals is the threat that's readily apparent. The reefs in the keys look pretty healthy to me.
It's had a pretty dramatic effect in Florida and other parts of the Caribbean, educate yourself

At your advanced age, and with your number of dives, I'm not at all sure you are able to comment with authority

The Benwood wreck is between 25-55' deep off Key Largo. Benwood

Sea Experience in Ft Lauderdale are great.
I dive with Rainbow Reef in Key Largo on Saturday. Better reefs than Ft Lauderdale.
Shallow too.
Rainbow Reef have dive guides in the water with you. They were great pointing out sea life we would have otherwise missed.
Currents are unpredictable anywhere you dive in Florida on east coast.

At your advanced age, and with your number of dives, I'm not at all sure you are able to comment with authority
I've been diving in FL for quite a long time and continue to dive frequently despite my advanced age and I have observed no obvious degradation of our reefs from SCTLD. But thanks for your concern.

If you're not going to the Keys but are staying in Broward County, there are several operators that go to shallow reef lines in Pompano if you don't want to deal with a shore dive. South Florida Dive HQ, as an example, goes to the Pompano first reef line regularly (they post their schedule on their website). I'm sure others like Pompano Dive Center or Scubatyme can help you too.

What are the health issues and how do they affect the other aspects of diving? BHB has a very specific window for diving, a walk with gear, and stiff competition for parking. LTBS has no diving window, competition for parking depending on time of day, and a longer walk with gear. Boats have set limits on total dive time, some hustle setting up gear and switching tanks, easy entry and some coordination for exit. Also, how novice is novice? If you can use a beach wagon and are patient with getting gear to waters edge and have a shore spotter to watch over things, shore diving becomes a lot more appealing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom