Shallow Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brodydog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Looking for options on dives that are not so deep (say 50’ or less), to accommodate someone going with me. I know Blue Angel has a shallow shore dive. I assume the Tilkila shore dive is not very deep. If we aren’t staying close enough to walk will a taxi take us back after the dive with wet gear? Any way to get a boat dive in without having to charter a boat?

Looking for options on dives that are not so deep (say 50’ or less), to accommodate someone going with me. I know Blue Angel has a shallow shore dive. I assume the Tilkila shore dive is not very deep. If we aren’t staying close enough to walk will a taxi take us back after the dive with wet gear? Any way to get a boat dive in without having to charter a boat?
My intro dives with Pro Dive, at Palancar and Columbia, were shallow. We were near deeper drop offs, but the area we stuck to hit floor @ 50-60 feet. Mind you, however, I am a novice diver with limited knowledge. There are a fair amount of people here more knowledgeable than me.

As for Tikila, yes, we did a guided night shore dive there with Jungle Divers, and our max depth was 30 feet.

We've also done several shore dives from Hotel Barracuda (some guided by ScubaJuan) that were all 27 feet or less.

We've also done shallow boat dives (usually with our Dive Op the first dive is deep, the second is more shallow) at the following sites & max depths:

• Columbia Shallows, 32 feet
  • Paradise Reef, 41 feet
  • Punta Tunich, 53 feet
  • El Cedral, 53 feet
  • Santa Rosa Shallows, 46 feet
  • Paso del Cedral, 55 feet
  • Chankanaab Reef, 48 feet
  • Yucab, 48 feet
  • San Clemente, 49 feet
  • Tormentos, 53 feet
Perhaps obviously, on many of these sites the route you take matters -- so some could go deeper depending on if your Dive Master leads it that way.

Best would be to discuss with the Dive Op ahead of time. I believe the 2 dive ops that I mentioned above would both be good one to check with about doing dives that stay fairly shallow. I believe @Kimela has specifically arranged shallow boat dives with Jungle Divers in the not-too-distant past.

One thing you can do is to hire your own private DM for a regular dive; most dive sites have shallower sections that you could dive separately from a group who is going deeper. CAVEAT: I have read many accounts on Scubaboard of people doing that but I don't know the mechanics of how to make it happen.

One thing you can do is to hire your own private DM for a regular dive; most dive sites have shallower sections that you could dive separately from a group who is going deeper. CAVEAT: I have read many accounts on Scubaboard of people doing that but I don't know the mechanics of how to make it happen.
Bullseye. Hire a private DM.

The current is not bad close to shore so for shore dives I just swim into the current first, then ride it back to the same spot I used for entry.

As for Tikila, yes, we did a guided night shore dive there with Jungle Divers, and our max depth was 30 feet.

We've also done several shore dives from Hotel Barracuda (some guided by ScubaJuan) that were all 27 feet or less.

We've also done shallow boat dives (usually with our Dive Op the first dive is deep, the second is more shallow) at the following sites & max depths:

• Columbia Shallows, 32 feet
  • Paradise Reef, 41 feet
  • Punta Tunich, 53 feet
  • El Cedral, 53 feet
  • Santa Rosa Shallows, 46 feet
  • Paso del Cedral, 55 feet
  • Chankanaab Reef, 48 feet
  • Yucab, 48 feet
  • San Clemente, 49 feet
  • Tormentos, 53 feet
Perhaps obviously, on many of these sites the route you take matters -- so some could go deeper depending on if your Dive Master leads it that way.

Best would be to discuss with the Dive Op ahead of time. I believe the 2 dive ops that I mentioned above would both be good one to check with about doing dives that stay fairly shallow. I believe @Kimela has specifically arranged shallow boat dives with Jungle Divers in the not-too-distant past.
When we go out on a boat with Jungle Divers it's always on a Charro boat. The first dive - like everyone else - is deep. So we just stay at the top of the reef or Stef guides us to shallower areas. Some people might find those particular dives to be boring, to be honest. We have found ourselves going across some long stretches of sand that look like an underwater desert. But one of those dives is also where Roger found a tiny baby octopus, stranded a few feet from the grass, on a patch of sand. (Still wonder if he ever found his way to safety). We also tend to stay at the top of the walls, which means we run a fair chance of sighting an eagle ray. :) And of course the second dive is usually a shallow reef dive, and those are very nice.

I've really been surprised at just how much I love the Tikila, or Tikila to Villa Blanca dives. We see some really cool things. Last time we saw a seahorse that did NOT want to be photographed. From the moment he was spotted he was on the run. I sat back to wait to see where he would settle and he never did - so I gave it up because I didn't want to harass the poor thing. I really didn't know they could go that fast!

I checked my log and 36.7 is the deepest recent dive at Tikila. Maybe we had gone out a ways?

There are Jr divers diving everyday that are depth limited - this should not be a problem for any dive shop to work with. The worst case scenerio is that you will need a private DM and every shop will offer that. Most all dive sites except for the extreme south have a shallow version or area.

Contact whomever you choose to dive wth and let them know what you are looking for, they'll work with you!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom