shallow dives in SE Florida or Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nitrogen comes mostly from human waste and fertilizers. But my guess is excess nitrogen should cause algae overgrowth in the 1st place, like I've seen around Curacao and Bonaire.

Algae overgrowth in the keys isn't from fertilizers and septic systems there are being phased out. There was a massive urchin die off that caused a lot of algae overgrowth throughout the Caribbean basin but the urchins are coming back now.

Diadema antillarum - Wikipedia

Come on, this was in the 80's.
Read the article; only recently are some areas recovering since it took a while for the urchin population to recover. The point is that algae overgrowth that was initially attributed to pollution in the keys turned out to be the result of an urchin disease that wiped out 97% of the algae eating urchins, but they're back on the job now...
By the way, I haven't seen any algae overgrowth in the Keys, and I've been diving there frequently, however there were reports of it at Carysfort many years back, but none recently that I'm aware of. It appears that it was an entirely natural cycle which has corrected itself.

Crisis averted? Most of the Elkhorn/Staghorn corals in the Keys have perished. Now, a new disease is moving South killing LPS and brain coral(it was first discovered off Fisher Isl/Dade cty) where an outflow pipe broke 2 years ago. It was not repaired for a year.

The Mysterious Disease Killing Florida's Coral Reefs

""In fall 2014, it was discovered that a mysterious disease had begun affecting Miami's coral reefs. A few corals off Virginia Key displayed splotchy white patches of exposed skeleton. The tissue was dying.""

Footage Shows Sewer Line Spewing Into Water Near Miami

Interesting, but no one knows yet what the pathogen actually is, or whether it's even viral or bacterial. And it was first discovered five years ago, so the Miami sewage spill is not the cause.
And luckily elkhorn and staghorn are immune. Also luckily, some colonies of susceptible species appear to be resistant.
Scientists work together to solve a coral disease mystery in Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary

Maybe I've just been diving the right reefs, but I have yet to see any obvious evidence of the disease. I don't doubt it's existence, but I do doubt it'll end our reefs. Life is very resilient.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom