shallow dives in SE Florida or Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jomcclain

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm going to be diving in SE Florida and/or Keys in week. I'm traveling with a group, some of whom are novice divers with health issues. So, we have to stay shallow and avoid current. We are planning to go to the Blue Heron Bridge and into the Keys. I understand the the northern Keys are badly damaged by a disease, so I would like to find spots that are relatively healthy, but also shallow. Can anyone recommend dive sites and shops that you would recommend?

I was down there in May and certainly enjoyed diving with Islamorada Dive Center. I think they would fit all of your above criteria.

As you’re interested in shore diving...check out Lauderdale by the Sea. It’s shallow and novice friendly.

i second L.B.T.S..... Datura blvd for easy access and easy exit...get there early for great parking...shower at portal.

I wouldn't recommend LBTS for what you are stating. The swim out out to the reef could be a bit much. In addition they would have to bring their gear from the parking to the beach which maybe far for them.

The upper Keys have many shallow reef dives that would fit your description. I have no idea what the coral damage is like. I would imagine the operators would be acutely aware.

If you go to Key Largo, dive with Rainbow Reef. I love them. They do a lot of shallow reef dives. And you a get a free dive guide with each dive. This way no one gets lost.

If you go to Key Largo, dive with Rainbow Reef. I love them. They do a lot of shallow reef dives. And you a get a free dive guide with each dive. This way no one gets lost.
8 boats, lots of choices

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom