severe neck irritation from my latex neck seal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm using a Bio-seal and it does what they say it will. Makes a nice tight comfortable seal. I cut my neck seal just a tad too big and it's fixed that. But it has softened up the latex seal quite a bit and will probably ruin a good seal over time. I don't really care because I have to replace it anyway. But the Bio-seal really does work.

thanks everyone so far, looking forward to more responses...

I switched from a neoprene seal because of leaks, so I'm not looking to switch back to neoprene right now...

my first few dives with the latex seal were ok...

I hadn't dove with the drysuit in 5-6 days, and it was just 1 dive that caused the painful rash...

I'm not sure if I could get udder creme around here, I haven't seen many cows in LA county...

scott

Jaye gets the cut-throat with her latex seal. Enter BioSeal - issues are gone.

My Neoprene seal seeps when I'm shooting or scootering. Enter BioSeal - issue is gone.

I LOVE my BioSeal.

I had the same issue on a dive off Anacapa on Saturday. It was pretty beat up and all chafed. It was only on the first dive - the other 3 dives of the day it was fine. It is not an allergy for me - I have NO issue with the wrist seals. I talked about it with a few friends and ultimately figured the neck seal needed another 1/2 a ring cut out. I tried it on after wards and it feels good now. I was a bit concerned it was too snug before, but now it feels good.

You may ultimately end up cutting it down a little, but I understand the aversion. Try to cut it ever so slightly down and you may find it helps. My seals are brand new as well. The first dive was this particular Dry suit's dive #3.

The cream has some possibilities as well. That may prevent chafing and such, but my first choice was to shave it down a little. I noticed mine happened more from turning my neck side to side - my hood popped out of the tucked area almost right away and I fought it the whole dive.. I look like I hung myself right now though...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom