Seven foot hose for single cylinder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bob,

Please. How many posts are you going to make stating that you use the 7' hose because you prefer it? The answer that the OP needs to know is that there is no need for any particular length of hose for single tank recreational diving. Good grief.

That's not what Bob (or the rest of us) were saying. Please read the posts and deal with the contents and avoid the insults.

Please. How many posts are you going to make stating that you use the 7' hose because you prefer it? The answer that the OP needs to know is that there is no need for any particular length of hose for single tank recreational diving. Good grief.

Hmm.

Seven foot hose for single cylinder
I am thinking about adding a seven foot hose to my single setup for sport limts. Anyone out there use this type of setup? What would be the pros and cons?

Sounds to me like a discussion of the benefits and drawbacks of a 7-foot hose is exactly what the OP asked for.

Bob,

Why is that the answer the OP needs to know? It's not relevent to the questions he asked.

I am thinking about adding a seven foot hose to my single setup for sport limts. Anyone out there use this type of setup? What would be the pros and cons?

Nowhere in that post does it say anything about need ... it says this is what he's thinking about doing (preference), and asks for information from those who use this type of setup. Nowhere does the OP ask if this is something he should do ... so why do YOU feel the need to answer a question that wasn't asked? And why do you feel the need to try talking someone out of an equipment preference simply because it's not one you would make?

Rather than telling someone what they need, why not give them the information they ask for and assume they're smart enough to make their own choices?

So far all you've offered is a comment that isn't true and a handful of insults to people who you don't agree with. If that's an indication of the quality of information you offer your students, I feel bad for them.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Last edited:
Bob,

Sorry, which OP were you reading? The one I saw asked for pros and cons.

There isn't a specific need for much of what people use. Masks are optional. Fins are optional. BCDs are optional Regulators are optional. Pretty much anything other than a tank of gas and a way to breathe it (i.e. valve) is optional. Everything else is for comfort, ease, personal preference, etc..

Bob,

Ditto to what Bob and Blackwood have posted in their last two posts. Based on a couple of your prior posts on this thread, I will do you the courtesy of putting it in a way in which you can better relate: Reading is Fundamental

Ditto to what Bob and Blackwood have posted in their last two posts. Based on a couple of your prior posts on this thread, I will do you the courtesy of putting it in a way in which you can better relate: Reading is Fundamental

Now that's funny right there :D

Without debating the relative superiority of personal preferences, or whether YOU need such a set-up or not (which is not what you asked), my comments are: a) I use this type of setup with my single tank reg for recreational diving; b) the pros (for ME) are having a long hose that allows me to easily and quickly donate my primary second stage to an OOA buddy / diver, and ii) I prefer having a bungeed second stage in a location (i.e. under my chin) so I know where it is (immediately) when needed, while the cons are i) I need to have something (rigid back pocket, knife/shears, big reel, canister light) on my BP right waist strap (or attached to the bottom of my BCD) to route the long hose under, so that it doesn't float up in a giant loop around me, and ii) I find that I inadevertently drop my second stage on the ground once in a while when I am setting up or dismantling my tank - not a common problem, but it does occur. I have never damaged the second stage by doing so, however.

I assume that the extra expense of the longer hose could also be a con. And, inexperience with the setup, causing problems with deployment could also be a con. I agree with those who say that, if you go that route, be sure to practice deployment of the hose.

I have never had to donate air in a real OOA situation, so I can't say with authority that the 7ft hose was clearly superior.

Also, I didn't necessarily have a compelling reason for going with a 7ft rather than a 5ft 'long hose', other than it was my impression at the time I did that most people who used a long hose were using a 7ft hose.
OHIO DIVERS:
How about the hose length for alternate second stage, that just below the chin?
I use a 30" hose for the necklace with a single tank.

Thanks to all for the great feedback.
I am heading to my local dive shop and have him add a seven foot hose to my set up.
I'm thinking is set up will work fine and if i take a cavern class is summer i would be away head on the learning curve. Taking the cavern class, just came up in discussion a few weeks ago. Now the seven foot hose is a no brainer, if i go head with the cavern class.

Hope he's not charging labor to swap out the hose. Recommend buying a DIR hose kit and changing them out yourself. Realize your question focused on the primary, but the lengths of other hoses should be addressed as well.

Save time and discussion - buy the DIR hose kit, couple SS bolt snap, couple feet # 24 cave line. couple feet 1/4" shock cord and get yourself a DIR hose configuration. Would then recommend working with an instructor on how to dive it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom