Seven foot hose for single cylinder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you choose to dive a moldable mouthpiece, then any configuration where you'd donate your primary reg is probably not a practical consideration for you. That includes integrated backups like the AirII or SS1.

Or if you choose such a configuration, you should always make sure before the dive that your buddy can tolerate it ... and accept the potential risk that a certain percentage of people won't be able to ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

That seems a little silly to me. In open water class, you learn to breath from a regulator without putting it in your mouth all the way (free flow drill). So even if the reg physically cannot fit in their mouth they can breath off it.

If you are out of air and I hand you a reg with a molded mouth piece, I'm sure you'll figure out how to make it work just fine - even if it's a little uncomfortable. The idea is to get to the surface safely and I see no reason that can't be done with a moldable mouthpiece.

That seems a little silly to me. In open water class, you learn to breath from a regulator without putting it in your mouth all the way (free flow drill). So even if the reg physically cannot fit in their mouth they can breath off it.

If you are out of air and I hand you a reg with a molded mouth piece, I'm sure you'll figure out how to make it work just fine - even if it's a little uncomfortable. The idea is to get to the surface safely and I see no reason that can't be done with a moldable mouthpiece.

It only seems silly from the comfort of the keyboard.

There's a huge difference between doing something in OW class and doing it in the middle of a stressful situation. People have a tendency to forget some pretty basic stuff when they're struggling to breathe ... particularly when they haven't practiced the skill since demonstrating it to their OW instructor. If someone gags on a reg after having run out of air, you've got a real potential to escalate a problem into a crisis.

Out of curiosity ... when was the last time you practiced that free flow drill you just mentioned? For most folks, the answer would be "never" ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

A couple weeks ago actually. I still don't see the argument working. If you are experienced/calm and working the problem, you'll work it out. If you are panicking I bet you figure out how to stuff it in your mouth if you have to chew off the ends. You are going to make that reg work.

Actually I can think of a counter argument too. One of the reasons I switched to a long hose is because during an air share drill my buddy turned his head a little further than the hose would allow. Except that instead of stopping him, the mouthpiece ripped off the reg and he found himself with a mouth full of water. I have a moldable mouthpiece I use sometimes. To put it on the reg, I have to heat it up to soften it it fits that tight. So, in a way, the moldable mouthpiece is more secure and better for air sharing.

Or you could value the comfort and safety of your teammates and make gear decisions that facilitate handling emergency procedures. Gagging on a reg and learning to "make that reg work" or else drown just doesn't sound too compelling.

Just a difference in perspective, I guess.

A couple weeks ago actually. I still don't see the argument working. If you are experienced/calm and working the problem, you'll work it out. If you are panicking I bet you figure out how to stuff it in your mouth if you have to chew off the ends. You are going to make that reg work.

Actually I can think of a counter argument too. One of the reasons I switched to a long hose is because during an air share drill my buddy turned his head a little further than the hose would allow. Except that instead of stopping him, the mouthpiece ripped off the reg and he found himself with a mouth full of water. I have a moldable mouthpiece I use sometimes. To put it on the reg, I have to heat it up to soften it it fits that tight. So, in a way, the moldable mouthpiece is more secure and better for air sharing.

Nah. That would require too much consideration. :wink:

My wife who is generally my buddy and is much smaller has no problem. Would she want my mouthpiece on her reg, of course not. It's not as comfortable as one that is a better size for her. Does she have trouble sharing air - not at all. It's a nonissue.

This just seems like another made up Internet problem to argue about. In real life if you are out of air and I hand you a moldable mouthpiece you are going to take it and make it work just fine.

This just seems like another made up Internet problem to argue about. In real life if you are out of air and I hand you a moldable mouthpiece you are going to take it and make it work just fine.

As I explicitly mentioned a few posts back, I was witness to one such case where a moldable mouthpiece caused uncontrollable gagging in the recipient. I have no doubt she'd have drowned if she hadn't been able to go back to her own reg (this was during an s-drill, not a real OOG). Sorry, but your reasoning is flawed.

I guess I'll just continue to dive with those that place considerable value on making emergencies easier to handle...

My reasoning is only as flawed as your future telling.

You have no idea if your diver would have drowned if it were OOG or if they would have coughed and then been fine on the reg had there been no reg to go back too.

Plus, if my situation was real and not practice, my guy would have drown (and I can say that because I can tell the future too) because the mouthpiece ripped off. Had I had the nice snug moldable mouthpiece on that reg it would not have ripped off and he wouldn't have gotten the mouth full off water, choked, and drown.

So the cosmos are in balance with respect to the lethality of the moldable mouthpiece.

That is a valid point regarding the custom fit mouthpieces. I concur that one "can" get air without even putting the mouthpiece in, but when stressed by an OOG situation, will every diver you may encounter remember how or even think of this, or will they panic when the needed air is too difficult to get and bolt to the surface?
The easier it is to receive a donation of gas when you need it the better for all involved.

Excellent topic! I first learned about the long hose diving in NJ and I found it more streamlined and convenient.

I have no issues with the conventional set up but I do prefer the long hose and I dive that exclusively now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom