Service Life Of Diaphragms In 2nd Stages -- Conshelf And Others

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2airishuman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Recently I bought some used Conshelf regulators, first and second stages. I am servicing them and plan to dive them. Production dates vary from 1974 to 1981.

The standard service kits for the second stages don't include diaphragms.

Actually, none of the regulator service kits I checked, for any brand, includes a second stage diaphragm.

Do they last "forever?" If not, who has them in stock?
P3170006.JPG
P3170005.JPG

they are consumables, however they last significantly longer than the rest of the parts under normal use. The silicone ones especially can last a decade or longer. The general recommendation I have is if they still seal, then don't worry about it. If you want to replace both the inhale and exhaust valves, I'd contact the vintage double hose guys as they'll know which ones are compatible

As long as they are "FEEL and LOOK" good... Dive them.... Conshelfs are bullet proof....

Jim...

I believe they are silicone judging by the feel and lack of discoloration. Looking and feeling, there aren't any signs of deterioration -- no rips, weak spots, stickiness. I'll put them back in for another year and keep an eye out for replacements. Thanks.

I've got 80's era ScubaPro, USD, DACOR, etc. seconds on their original diaphragms....

I've also got Healthways and Voit seconds on original diaphragms (which date quite earlier)....

If it hasn't lost suppleness, isn't cracking, isn't sealing, etc., DIVE ON!

Did you read my thread about going 37 years on a conshelf 1st stage..... The second stage finally got a seat flip and a new diaphragm last year or so ago....

Jim....

I did and was amused by it, although it's not my kind of experiment to run.

The old rubber diaphrams would wear out, the silicone ones will last ... who knows.. I have a bunch of spares and don't remember exchanging one for 15 yrs now. Just gently stretch and hold up to the sun and inspect for a holes..

Incidentally, do you know what to do if one rips while diving and you don't want to or can't switch to an alternate?

If you are going to rebuild the Conshelf 1st stages I would highly recommend getting the high pressure installation tool, it works on the Conshelf, original Titan, and several similar regs. It can be done without it but parts have a nasty habit of flying every where without it. I believe Herman on this board sells them inexpensivly. I tried once with out it and said hell no and got the tool.

Back
Top Bottom