Question Semi Dry wetsuit recommendation needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sage advice no doubt. My plan for redundant buoyancy is the 6' 6" safety sausage I bought. As well as the 45 lb. lift dual bladder in my Dive Rite Rec XT BC.

It's bad enough I have a rapidly growing inventory of tanks, I would like to avoid buying a dry suit that will see minimal use. That being said, if I can't avoid it, then likely this is the one I would buy. Unless someone has a better idea ?

You're going about this the wrong way. You will be diving in 50° water as you stated above. You're planning to do tech training in FL. Tech dives routinely run 90 - 120 min. Will your diving then only be in FL or still dive in the NE? A fully outfitted custom fit dry suit is only about $400 more than an ill fitting wetsuit and you gain a lot more from it. Why be penny wise and pound foolish? Drysuit can be used in warm waters and frigid NE. I've said my peace. Be cold during a prolonged deco stop and you risk getting bent because your computer and tables aren't accounting for a core temp of 94°

I don't want to get the CCR for the same reason I would like to avoid buying a dry suit. At my age, I don't know if I would live long enough to get my moneys worth out of a CCR system. I have resigned myself to just paying large Helium bills. I am not looking to expand my dive season, it is hard enough to find any time to dive when the water is warm, never mind extending my season. Although I understand why you are pointing that out. Thanks.

One shop up hear has already instigated a no open circuit trimix fills because of the helium shortage. Others are considering doing the same.

So you’ll just be doing tech dives in super warm water always?
And you’re ok with spending hundreds of dollars on helium IF you can get them but not $700-$1100 on a Drysuit??? Seems like you have your priories mixed up.
Yes, my plan is pretty much to dive deep in warm water. All the wrecks I am looking to hit are from Maryland to Key West. Compared to NY, I feel like that is warm water. The only 2 wrecks near NY where I might need a dry suit to visit are the U-853 130' FSW near Block Island, don't really need a dry suit for that one.
Then if I do get a Dry Suit, then I might want to go see the U-550 in 330' FSW 130 miles South of Montauk, if I can find a boat that will take me there, once I have the appropriate training and experience.

I appreciate everyones input, no doubt you all know far more than I do, as my Tech training has not yet even begun. I am expecting to do the online and pool portions of Intro' to Tech in NY in January and complete it and hopefully 3-4 other classes in April in Florida.

Perhaps, I should put the Semi Dry suit on hold and do some thinking and maybe get the Dry suit instead, since the feeling on that is so overwhelmingly in favor of Dry Suit, over Semi Dry suit.

The 4/3 will not be anywhere near warm enough for sub 60° and more than about 20 minutes.
I'm not saying you shouldn't take a drysuit class but it isn't a 100% must if you're concerned about the $$. You can learn most of what you need by reading a lot and having your experienced dive buddies give you some tips. The links I provided above are for a Seaskin drysuit. I got mine with almost every upgrade and doodad and it was just shy of $1200 shipped. That is fully custom fit to me and that is the only way that company sells them. They are 1/3 - 1/2 the cost of bigger name brands but do the same thing, keep you dry. There isn't much maintenance you do for a dry suit vs a wetsuit. If you're set on a wetsuit and the hollis isn't available in your size (try on before you buy) you could also check out a custom wetsuit. @JMJ Wetsuits is a good option
I looked at the Sealskin web site. It is totally custom. Since I know nothing about Dry suits, it made my head spin. $1,200 is very reasonable, I just don't have any idea what options to get.

I looked at the Sealskin web site. It is totally custom. Since I know nothing about Dry suits, it made my head spin. $1,200 is very reasonable, I just don't have any idea what options to get.
I got the trilam suit (Nova). Got the front plastic ykk zipper, zipper cover, SI Tech silicone quick neck system, warm neck simple, QCS oval rings with silicone seals, telescoping torso, move shoulder dump to DIR position, inflation valve comfort patch, attached tech boots but you could get socks if you wanted, every type of reinforcement they offer, suspender braces width increase, no logos, no reflective tape, change mat Drysuit bag upgrade, bellows pocket with Velcro on left and right leg outside seam, computer strap retainers on each arm.

That’s what I got, I should have went ahead and gotten a pee valve but didn’t…if you’re doing tech dives you will want one. Do research and ask others but this set up works for me. I love that I can change my own seals if they tear.

Read through the Seaskin page here. Linked below

I'm pretty new to the forums here and currently a Open Water only diver. But I'm up here in Northeast Indiana and our waters get chilly. And for me to get back under the water I felt I should invest in a suitable suit for this area.
I did go with the Apeks Thermiq Semi Dry, its a 8/7mm front zipping skin and I love it. I'm good to go in high 40 degree water for 45min. My boots are bare 5mm and Pinnacle 5mm gloves.

I was most likely in about the same boat as you regarding semi or dry.

But I went with Semi-Dry. Dry suit would be very very nice, but even with the $700+ price tag and figuring that I would still need to receive quality dry suit training I figured that'd just be way to over budget at only a Open Water level.

Now once I've logged maybe 75 dives and have been a A.O.W I think I'll invest further. Until then I'll just be taking cooler showers to train my body to endure colder water temps better and dumping warmed water into my Semi-Dry before those cooler dives.

I dove the Pinnacle semi dry for around 3 years in the Great Lakes, Indiana local lakes and Ohio quarries, year around at 100 plus dives a year, completely wore that suit out and thought I was bad a$$. Then went with the Diving Concepts Trilam Tech dry. Now dry it the only way I will dive regardless of the water temps or season. Once you go dry you will not regret it. Plus, its way cool to to put on shorts and tee shirt or jeans and button down, go dive, take off suit, stow gear, comb hair and be ready for dinner or the bar.

Back
Top Bottom