Question Semi Dry wetsuit recommendation needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got the trilam suit (Nova). Got the front plastic ykk zipper, zipper cover, SI Tech silicone quick neck system, warm neck simple, QCS oval rings with silicone seals, telescoping torso, move shoulder dump to DIR position, inflation valve comfort patch, attached tech boots but you could get socks if you wanted, every type of reinforcement they offer, suspender braces width increase, no logos, no reflective tape, change mat Drysuit bag upgrade, bellows pocket with Velcro on left and right leg outside seam, computer strap retainers on each arm.

That’s what I got, I should have went ahead and gotten a pee valve but didn’t…if you’re doing tech dives you will want one. Do research and ask others but this set up works for me. I love that I can change my own seals if they tear.
I went on the Sea Skin web site to try to get an estimate of what ordering the Nova Membrane suit would actually cost. When you don't know anything about Dry Suits, this is not so easy to know what to get. I selected all the options you got on your suit, but I still have questions on some of the options. Perhaps, you or someone else can steer me. Whomever said you can get this suit around $1,200 and it doesn't make sense to get a semi dry seems to be correct. What do I do for insulating under garments?

Which Model suit: Nova Membrane? I spaced Telescopic Torso and allowance for extra thick undergarments. If I am going to get a Dry Suit, I want to be comfortable in 40F water. What thickness of under garments should I get?

Pee valve options: Fitted SiTech Trigon? Fitted Apeks? or Light Monkey non balanced?
I definitely want to be able to pee with maximum convenience, so I also selected the horizontal convenience zipper. Should I get the optional convenience zipper cover?
I don't find the idea of wearing the diaper that appealing.

Which wrist seal system is best?

Do I want the longer LP hose or the upgrade to Miflex LP hose?

Do I need ankle weights?

For Thigh Pocket placement: Do I want outside seam or forward facing?

Where should knife attachment patch go? Rt. outside calf or Rt. thigh ?

Trilobite Pocket placement: Forearm or thigh pocket ?

Does anyone have an opinion on Otter Dry Suits ? They are another UK based Custom Dry Suit manufacturer.

I went on the Sea Skin web site to try to get an estimate of what ordering the Nova Membrane suit would actually cost. When you don't know anything about Dry Suits, this is not so easy to know what to get. I selected all the options you got on your suit, but I still have questions on some of the options. Perhaps, you or someone else can steer me. Whomever said you can get this suit around $1,200 and it doesn't make sense to get a semi dry seems to be correct. What do I do for insulating under garments?

Which Model suit: Nova Membrane? I spaced Telescopic Torso and allowance for extra thick undergarments. If I am going to get a Dry Suit, I want to be comfortable in 40F water. What thickness of under garments should I get?

Pee valve options: Fitted SiTech Trigon? Fitted Apeks? or Light Monkey non balanced?
I definitely want to be able to pee with maximum convenience, so I also selected the horizontal convenience zipper. Should I get the optional convenience zipper cover?
I don't find the idea of wearing the diaper that appealing.

Which wrist seal system is best?

Do I want the longer LP hose or the upgrade to Miflex LP hose?

Do I need ankle weights?

For Thigh Pocket placement: Do I want outside seam or forward facing?

Where should knife attachment patch go? Rt. outside calf or Rt. thigh ?

Trilobite Pocket placement: Forearm or thigh pocket ?

Does anyone have an opinion on Otter Dry Suits ? They are another UK based Custom Dry Suit manufacturer.
The nova is the trilam or “membrane” suit which is what you should get and what I got. For cool water I just use an inexpensive moisture wicking base layer with a thinner wool top and bottom. Got em off Amazon. For “colder” water I’ll add a “polypro” top and bottom, or waffle top and bottom as some call it. All can be purchased relatively cheap. For really cold water I have a fleece onesie that I bought used for like $50. Your cold tolerance may be different than mine. I get cold easily.

Get the light monkey balanced p-valve.

You don’t need ANY of the convenience zips, so remove that from your selection.

I got the QCS over wrist seal system, it’s oval and more aero dynamic and looks cool to me :wink: plus you can change your own silicone seals very easily. The oval system is not compatible with dry gloves to I had to buy the ultima drylove system when I dive dry gloves which isn’t often.

No need for longer inflator hose or miflex because they include a miflex hose already.

No ankle weights.

Outside seam for pockets.

Don’t worry about knife attachments on your suit. Put one or two on your bcd and maybe one on your computer strap.

JUST MY OPINION.

please let us know if you have any more questions.

Otter has a great reputation but more expensive, I’ve never tried one.

I have both trilam and neoprene Seaskin suits, I recently bought a second trilam to replace my 8+ year old one.

these are my opinions, I did the telescoping but it’s not necessary, their standard duck tail works fine but telescoping gives a cleaner look for the predive fashion show.

I got plastic zip, I find them to be better than brass.

I use the trigon, fool proof if you don’t go OCD scared with flushing, low pressure rinsing only.

i don’t get the extra room but if want to layer up a lot for those temps…? Maybe a good idea.

I use the standard pocket outside seem placement, if you want to do side mount you may want to move them forward.

I don’t do relief zippers, pretty useless in a front zip suit and if you have a pee valve just useless.

no knife or other do dads attachments

no upgraded padding needed.

no ankle weights

i prefer the si-tech oval wrist system as it gives far more dry glove system options (RoLock is my preferred)

I use the quick neck.

my new suit came to my door at less than $900

there are a lot of undergarment options, layering with wool and dense fleece are my preferred metho, I use Hollis aug 450 and wool.

Light monkey BALANCED pee valve.

No convience zipper.

User changeable wrist and neck seals, should be si tech unless another company makes them. Oval is my preferred so you can add rolock dry gloves system.

Not sure for the pockets.

No knife attachments on suit.

You will need 2 undergarments total for "warm" water and then for cold, fit is key for these.

Standard lp hose when you go trimix you will have a separate drysuit bottle.

I'm pretty sure all of us told you you can get into a drysuit for not much more. Trust me you won't dive wet again unless your just doing shallow warm water recreational stuff.

Light monkey BALANCED pee valve.

No convience zipper.

User changeable wrist and neck seals, should be si tech unless another company makes them. Oval is my preferred so you can add rolock dry gloves system.

Not sure for the pockets.

No knife attachments on suit.

You will need 2 undergarments total for "warm" water and then for cold, fit is key for these.

Standard lp hose when you go trimix you will have a separate drysuit bottle.

I'm pretty sure all of us told you you can get into a drysuit for not much more. Trust me you won't dive wet again unless your just doing shallow warm water recreational stuff.
I didn’t know the rolock system fit the oval rings, that’s cool.

I have both trilam and neoprene Seaskin suits, I recently bought a second trilam to replace my 8+ year old one.

these are my opinions, I did the telescoping but it’s not necessary, their standard duck tail works fine but telescoping gives a cleaner look for the predive fashion show.

I got plastic zip, I find them to be better than brass.

I use the trigon, fool proof if you don’t go OCD scared with flushing, low pressure rinsing only.

i don’t get the extra room but if want to layer up a lot for those temps…? Maybe a good idea.

I use the standard pocket outside seem placement, if you want to do side mount you may want to move them forward.

I don’t do relief zippers, pretty useless in a front zip suit and if you have a pee valve just useless.

no knife or other do dads attachments

no upgraded padding needed.

no ankle weights

i prefer the si-tech oval wrist system as it gives far more dry glove system options (RoLock is my preferred)

I use the quick neck.

there are a lot of undergarment options, layering with wool and dense fleece are my preferred metho, I use Hollis aug 450 and wool.

Just did my sidemount course and my side pockets didn’t interfere with anything. I think I’d find them annoying on the front but that’s just a guess.

My impression is that a wreck diver may favor a neoprene suit for the increased durability. Similarly, a protective zipper may be better at keeping sand out of the waterproof zipper. (No actual experience on my part; it would be interesting to hear from someone closer to that world.)

My impression is that a wreck diver may favor a neoprene suit for the increased durability. Similarly, a protective zipper may be better at keeping sand out of the waterproof zipper. (No actual experience on my part; it would be interesting to hear from someone closer to that world.)
I feel like the protective zipper is a must.

$900 is shockingly cheap for custom made suit, when the Hollis Semi Dry would be $675.
I will look into the Hollis Aug 450 and wool.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom