Question Semi Dry wetsuit recommendation needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TravelGas

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Looking for a recommendation on what brand and model to purchase. I know nothing about semi dry and only found out that semi dry was a thing, this week. Anyone have a comparison chart and how thick a normal wet suit would have to be to provide comparable warmth? Anythings to avoid ? How cold of water temperature do these work down to 8MM. Would this be adequate for water temps in the 48-50F range?

Any help is appreciated.

I had the Hollis branded 6-7-8 semi dry for years. Excellent quality suit. Mine last easily 500 hours of diving before there was nothing left of it. Aqualung and Pinnacle have the same suit with their branding on it. I don't know who the OEM is.
Last year I purchased the Pinnacle version to replace it. Seems to still be of good quality. Hard to say for sure as it has less than 100 hours on it. I went with the Pinnacle this time as DRIS had it in stock in my size. All three of them appear to be identical suits.
I dive it for short dives in the Detroit river in the 60-65 degree range. I use it for long dives in Mexico around 76 degrees comfortably.

Something to consider, I am a massive wuss when it comes to cold. Most could probably knock 5-10 degrees off my comfort level and be fine.

What Tracy said. I dive a Hollis 6/7/8 in the Puget Sound. It's great but I'm cold at the 45 min mark and that is with a 3mm vest worn under it, 2mm socks under my 8mm boots. During the summer when water Temps are near 58 I'm pretty comfy for hour long dives. Right now that suit is $650 depending on where you get it. You can buy a very nice dry suit for only a little bit more and be a hell of a lot more comfortable. Neoprene compression at depth is what makes diving wet in 50° water uncomfortable.

Is the Hollis 6/7/8 the way to go?

What about this 4/3.

For the cost of a semi dry, just get a inexpensive drysuit
Then I have to take a dry suit class to get certified and I have to maintain a dry suit. Is there a particular inexpensive drysuit you recommend that won't fall apart or leak too fast ?

Is the Hollis 6/7/8 the way to go?

What about this 4/3.

The 4/3 will not be anywhere near warm enough for sub 60° and more than about 20 minutes.
Then I have to take a dry suit class to get certified and I have to maintain a dry suit. Is there a particular inexpensive drysuit you recommend that won't fall apart or leak too fast ?
I'm not saying you shouldn't take a drysuit class but it isn't a 100% must if you're concerned about the $$. You can learn most of what you need by reading a lot and having your experienced dive buddies give you some tips. The links I provided above are for a Seaskin drysuit. I got mine with almost every upgrade and doodad and it was just shy of $1200 shipped. That is fully custom fit to me and that is the only way that company sells them. They are 1/3 - 1/2 the cost of bigger name brands but do the same thing, keep you dry. There isn't much maintenance you do for a dry suit vs a wetsuit. If you're set on a wetsuit and the hollis isn't available in your size (try on before you buy) you could also check out a custom wetsuit. @JMJ Wetsuits is a good option

You might also consider a 7 mm MAKO suit. these suits leak almost zero water and they have no zippers to leak. Should work well in that temperature range.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom