Sell or keep my steel pony

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jon in Michigan

Registered
Reaction score
I'm getting rid of most of my scuba gear because my diving days are on hold for another 8 years or so, and I'm trying to decide which pieces are worth holding onto and which should be sold.

I have a steel pony bottle (13 cu ft, Faber) I bought brand new several years ago. Still has a smidge of air in it (maybe 100 psi), but the hydro has expired. It was damn expensive to purchase and I'd hate to have to pay that again. Is it worth holding this for that long? Should I just cough up the dough for the next 2 hydros and use it for filling the truck tires for the next 8 years?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Do you need to keep it in hydro while you can't dive? Wouldn't you just need to hydro when you wish to put it back in use? (I don't know this, just asking)

I don't know. Is it bad to have a cylinder, with any pressure in it, out of hydro? I guess 100 psi is not going to blow up anything. I'm assuming nothing dreadful happened the last time it was filled, like water was introduced into it. That might spoil things.

He asked about using it for filling truck tires. If he needs to refill, it will require the hydros to stay current. If you are storing a cylinder it does not require a hydro, just keep some air in it to keep away the moisture.

Jon in Michigan:
I'm getting rid of most of my scuba gear because my diving days are on hold for another 8 years or so, and I'm trying to decide which pieces are worth holding onto and which should be sold.

I have a steel pony bottle (13 cu ft, Faber) I bought brand new several years ago. Still has a smidge of air in it (maybe 100 psi), but the hydro has expired. It was damn expensive to purchase and I'd hate to have to pay that again. Is it worth holding this for that long? Should I just cough up the dough for the next 2 hydros and use it for filling the truck tires for the next 8 years?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

That will mean Hydros(5Y) and VIPs (yearly) if you plan to use it for tires and other pneumatic chores. It will add up and it's probably worth reserching your local charges for these services. Ir may well add up to enough to put a small compressor in your garage and save you a lot of running around.. Whatever you do don't use it with low presure gas station air.

Storing it as is will be fine, just get it recommisioned when you're ready to use it again.

If you think you will return to diving in 8 years, I'd keep the pony. They are expensive to replace. I've let go of some equipment during lulls in my diving and really wished I'd kept them when I resumed.

Of course another solution is to send the pony to me and I'll take care of it for you! Seriously, I have wondered if my Al pony bottles aren't being affected by electrolysis since I dive with steel tanks. Having a steel pony would eliminate that problem.

You can store it for 8 years with 100 pounds in it & it will be fine. You will just need to have it hydroed when you get ready to use it again. It does NOT have to be hydroed every 5 years if you don't plan on using it.

Just a side thought...Steel ponys won't be cheaper in 8 years.

Thanks, everybody. I'll hold onto the pony for now and just leave it stored. Save my money on hydros and fills, I guess I can fill my tires at the gas station. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom