Selecting long hose length.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wendy once bubbled...

Japan diver pretty much summed up my thnking when he said:
"The theory behind the 7ft hose was it allowed sharing air with one diver in front of the other -single file- exiting a cave/wreck. A five ft hose allows plenty of length for sharing air but not quite single file air sharing. (Unless you had a really short buddy)"

I asked the diver his size, cuz if he is tall or a big guy then a 5' foot hose may be to short to route properly, and I asked how tall his buddy was because when in an OOA situation in some diving you must be single file so you need to make sure the hose is long enough to go the length of your buddy's body and to your tank valve.

Okay. I was curious because he also stated open ocean, which would preclude wreck/cave and therefore the need for single file. I've also never heard of figuring a divers height in. Overhead = 7' hose, OC = 5' or longer.

MD

Question why on earth you would need 7 ft or 6 ft or 5 ft or even 4 ft in the open ocean???

I am a recreational diver and use a 7ft hose. After practicing air sharing with the 7ft i hose i never went back. It was so much easier to make a controlled ascent with the long hose. With the standard length hose you have the OOA diver plastered to your face while making an ascent. With the 7ft hose it gives you some room and each diver controls his buoyancy independently. Plus you dont have three feet of hose sticking out the side of you to snag on something.

If you are diving solo, then question whether you even need an octo at all.

I am also gulity of occasionally diving solo especially while spearfishing. I dive a set of twin steel 72's with a isolation manifld about 80% of the time so a primary reg and a secondary reg makes perfect sense to me even when diving solo.

I am simply curious, DeepTech - you said:

Question why on earth you would need 7 ft or 6 ft or 5 ft or even 4 ft in the open ocean???

And I wanted to know - what problems did you encounter when you dove with a 7' hose?

I've been diving a 7',even took a Tek I course and was very pleased. Still, people suggest a 5' on the open ocean. It makes sense, cause you won't be tandom swimming and you won't have the extra 2 feet of drag. But the post which said 'I tried it and went back' makes sense too. I suppose it comes down to try it, then decide... anyone know where 5'er can be purchased?

jlkline:
I just bought a Viper America reg and dove it for the first time last weekend. Even with a 5" hose, I had some challenges keeping it in my mouth. I think the problem was related to the light weight 2nd stage and the loop / length of the hose.

I plan to try a shorter hose this weekend, but are there other alternatives (more flexible hoses, fittings, etc) that can be considered, maintaining my 5'?

Thanks in advance for your input.

I know this is an old thread, but I think you're looking at this the wrong way. If the regulator was pulling out of your mouth, the hose was probably too SHORTas opposed to too long.. You can use a longer hose, and tuck the excess into your belt, or around a cannister light (if you have one).

Back
Top Bottom