Selecting long hose length.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nilsdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am considering switch to a long hose on my primary regulator and 2nd regulator on a necklace. I am wondering how I should determine the length for the long hose. I plan to dive with a single tank in the ocean within recreational limits.

I found that Extreme Exposure sell two kits.
https://www.extreme-exposure.com/ac...ryone use with single tank setups? Thanks.

A five foot hose will wrap under your right arm, while a 7 ft hose will normally wrap under a canister light or knife on the waist belt. Either will work with a single tank, but some people have movement issues with the shorter hose. The best thing to do would be to try the 5 ft. It if doesn't work, go to a 6 or 7 ft.

If you don't have the hoses available to try, get a piece of rope and tie one end on the regulator and see how the different lengths work for you.

MD

how tall are you and how tall is your usual buddy?

The whole idea of long hose is donating to your buddy.
What seems the best is to buy the 7ft as you can always shorten it cant lengthen the 5ft

will not route cleanly unless you have a place on your right side to loop it under.

I do, since I have a pouch on my BP, so if I'm not using my cannister light (I usually don't for OW, daytime diving) there is a place for the hose to route around.

Without that, I'd want a 5' long hose in OW.

If you don't have a canniser light or pocket, you can tuck it inside your waist band if you use a backplate.

Genesis once bubbled...
will not route cleanly unless you have a place on your right side to loop it under.

I do, since I have a pouch on my BP, so if I'm not using my cannister light (I usually don't for OW, daytime diving) there is a place for the hose to route around.

Without that, I'd want a 5' long hose in OW.

The theory behind the 7ft hose was it allowed sharing air with one diver in front of the other -single file- exiting a cave/wreck. A five ft hose allows plenty of length for sharing air but not quite single file air sharing. (Unless you had a really short buddy)

Non-overhead 5ft is fine, overhead 7ft is necessary.
I use a 7ft all the time just so I don't have to change rigs and tuck the extra in my waist band when a cannister light isn't being worn. Most of the other divers I see who use a long hose tend to use a 5ft for ocean diving. (If routed correctly a 5ft should not pull at all when looking left regardless of your height)

japan-diver once bubbled...
The theory behind the 7ft hose was it allowed sharing air with one diver in front of the other -single file- exiting a cave/wreck.
Caves and wrecks are not the only places to encounter areas that it is mandatory to swim single-file and where it is far less than desireable to surface.

California kelp diving:

http://www.underwaterplanet.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom