Selecting long hose length.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are going to be penitrating a cave or wreck with a team, then 7 ft. is preferred. Some teams require everyone to have 7 ft.

If you are diving in the open ocean, then 36 inches is enough. All you are going to do then is donate your primary anyway, and surface slowly, with a safety stop. Question why on earth you would need 7 ft or 6 ft or 5 ft or even 4 ft in the open ocean??? If someone gives you some song-and-dance about diving a 'standard' configuration the same way all the time, then why aren't you also then rigged for ice diving all the time???

If you are diving solo, then question whether you even need an octo at all. A pony bottle would then be more appropriate. And on a pony, a 36 inch hose is plenty.

Stop. Breathe, THINK. Act.

cannot be routed under the arm and around the neck - its too short.

I went to the long hose originally NOT due to overheads, but because the shorter hose sticks out, grabs on things, and is UNCOMFORTABLE as it either pulls or pushes.

The 7' hose does none of the above and is a LOT more comfortable to dive with.

Some of it is personal preference and some is body size/gear-related:

I started with a 5-footer (I dive single tanks exclusively). It worked fine for the 30-40 dives I used it, but it was just a hair too short when I turned my head to one side. That being said, I am 6'5" and 240 lbs. I've heard some folks much smaller than me say that there is "no way" a five footer can work...which seems counter-intuitive to my experience. I think there are also gear configuration variables at work here -- the configuration of your first stage (i.e., the angle at which the hoses come out of the 1st stage), the closeness of the tank to your back (STA or no STA), etc. can all have small effects on the hose routing.

I now use a 7 footer. I have a pocket on the right harness belt that I loop the hose around. I have tried looping the extra hose through my harness belt and found this to be somewhat cumbersome (I also use a weight belt). Not a big deal...I just prefer having something specific to loop it around.

I also have a 6 footer that I found to be too long for the "direct under the arm routing" and too short for the "loop under a pocket" routing.

My suggestion -- when you place your order, order multiple long hoses and try them out at least on dry land. Given the variables in body size, gear and personal preference, you won't really know which size works for you until you try them. Extreme Exposure will refund your money on any items with no questions asked within 30 days (you have to pay the return freight). Even easier -- ask your LDS if they stock long hoses and try them there.

It's too short and puts tension on your head...really gets old quickly.

Get a 7'...first time you practice donating it, you will see its advantages. Plus, it works in all environments, OW and overhead.

If you are diving solo, then question whether you even need an octo at all. A pony bottle would then be more appropriate. And on a pony, a 36 inch hose is plenty.

Why someone would solo dive is beyond me. A pony bottle doesn't cut you out of a fishing line, or assist you if you get a cramp.

Secondly - the advantage of a long hose is an Open Water environment is patently obvious. Tell me, DeepTechScuba, did you have a problem with practicing alternate air ascents when you dove with your long hose configuration?

I just bought a Viper America reg and dove it for the first time last weekend. Even with a 5" hose, I had some challenges keeping it in my mouth. I think the problem was related to the light weight 2nd stage and the loop / length of the hose.

I plan to try a shorter hose this weekend, but are there other alternatives (more flexible hoses, fittings, etc) that can be considered, maintaining my 5'?

Thanks in advance for your input.

- Look at the ports your hoses are coming from -- is your primary hose coming from the "optimal" port?

- Check first stage orientation -- I find that mounting my first stage upside down provides better hose routing (hoses are angled downward). This is obviously reg-model dependent

- Check your tank height -- is the valve riht behind your head or farther down?

Put your gear on in front of a mirror -- it quickly becomes obvious if there is room for hose routing improvement.

MechDiver once bubbled...

My buddy doesn't wear my gear.

But I'm interested in what your logic is :confused:

Japan diver pretty much summed up my thnking when he said:
"The theory behind the 7ft hose was it allowed sharing air with one diver in front of the other -single file- exiting a cave/wreck. A five ft hose allows plenty of length for sharing air but not quite single file air sharing. (Unless you had a really short buddy)"

I asked the diver his size, cuz if he is tall or a big guy then a 5' foot hose may be to short to route properly, and I asked how tall his buddy was because when in an OOA situation in some diving you must be single file so you need to make sure the hose is long enough to go the length of your buddy's body and to your tank valve.

jlkline once bubbled...
I just bought a Viper America reg and dove it for the first time last weekend. Even with a 5" hose, I had some challenges keeping it in my mouth. I think the problem was related to the light weight 2nd stage and the loop / length of the hose.

I plan to try a shorter hose this weekend, but are there other alternatives (more flexible hoses, fittings, etc) that can be considered, maintaining my 5'?

Thanks in advance for your input.

You need to dive with a 30 ft. camoflauged hose like Black like the experts do...

Boogie711 once bubbled...

Why someone would solo dive is beyond me. A pony bottle doesn't cut you out of a fishing line, or assist you if you get a cramp.

Secondly - the advantage of a long hose is an Open Water environment is patently obvious. Tell me, DeepTechScuba, did you have a problem with practicing alternate air ascents when you dove with your long hose configuration?

Robert Maier recently wrote an excellent book that talks about (1) why people solo dive and (2) what appropriate solo diving protocols should be followed. That should help you with your questions about that.

If you get caught in fishing line, you should use one of two cutting devices available to you.

If you get a cramp while diving, you should stretch it out if possible, ascend slowly if the cramp cannot be resolved, do your safety stop(s), surface, and abort your dive(s).

Tell me, Boogie711, do you rig yourself for ice diving as well, every time you go scuba diving in warm water???

Back
Top Bottom