Seeking pressure chamber recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doesn't pressuring the dive computer in the air causes issues with air leaking into the case or destroying the sensor since air molecule is smaller than water? All of the dive computer literature I am familiar with warn against pressuring dive computer in air.
We have tested thousands of dive computers (all brands and models) with the Bergeon waterproof tester and never have had an issue with the pressure sensors (remember you pressurize in the air for a very short interval of 1 to 2 minutes at most). There is a small offset in pressure depth indication in the Suunto's D4 and D6 to which we refer to in a recent post in this same forum, and also how do we tackle that problem. See:

Switch to dive mode when pressure testing Suuntos​

Does it take a lot of effort to use the hand pump to pump the pressure down to 50 meters?
Not at all. The handle is long enough to provide a powerful leverage to operate the internal manual pump. Ten to fifteen pump cycles and you are at 160 feet (50 meters), which is our standard testing depth.

Not at all. The handle is long enough to provide powerful leverage to operate the internal manual pump. Ten to fifteen pump cycles and you are at 160 feet (50 meters), which is our standard testing depth.

How do you test AI? Global chamber has connection for the HP hose and you can submerge the transmitter while controlling the HP from outside.

How do you test AI? Global chamber has connection for the HP hose and you can submerge the transmitter while controlling the HP from outside.

I assume you are referring to the AI dive computers mounted in a console, with a hose connecting to a high-pressure port of the regulator (like the Suunto Cobra for instance). Those computers do not fit in the Bergeon pressure chamber and we use a pressure chamber similar to the Global for those cases. However, for all other AI computers that use a separate transmitter connected to the high-pressure port, after having serviced both units we pressure test them separately in the Bergeon chamber (first the computer and then the transmitter). After both pass the test, we connect the transmitter to a regulator and make sure it pairs with the computer.

AI computers that use a separate transmitter connected to the high-pressure port, after having serviced both units we pressure test them separately in the Bergeon chamber (first the computer and then the transmitter). After both pass the test, we connect the transmitter to a regulator and make sure it pairs with the computer

I am referring to this type actually. How do you prevent the water from entering the transmitter through the pin hole HP side?

Sealing the transmitter with a 7/16" UNF female cap with an O ring.

First, I must thank you in a VERY big way for your kind assistance, patience and your time in answering my questions. You are most kind. Please note that you are answering questions not just for me, but also for others who are too shy to ask or who don't speak English well enough to ask. There are others across the world who are reading your replies here. (I know, some of them are communicating with me privately :) ). I am asking for myself and few others btw. Many, most actually, of us can't afford the Global chamber version and the one you were kind to suggest is a great alternative for us that many can afford to buy and use in their dive centers in our Shiity parts of the world.

For the female cap, I have seen online many none diving sellers offering "7/16" UNF Female Blanking cap" but none from the typical dive accessory vendors. Are there vendors that offer something specific for use in diving or are the ones available good enough for our application?

First, I must thank you in a VERY big way for your kind assistance, patience and your time in answering my questions. You are most kind. Please note that you are answering questions not just for me, but also for others who are too shy to ask or who don't speak English well enough to ask. There are others across the world who are reading your replies here. (I know, some of them are communicating with me privately :) ). I am asking for myself and few others btw. Many, most actually, of us can't afford the Global chamber version and the one you were kind to suggest is a great alternative for us that many can afford to buy and use in their dive centers in our Shiity parts of the world.

For the female cap, I have seen online many none diving sellers offering "7/16" UNF Female Blanking cap" but none from the typical dive accessory vendors. Are there vendors that offer something specific for use in diving or are the ones available good enough for our application?
If you are closer to the UK than to the US, this is another alternative Watch parts and Tools store that carries the Bergeon 5555/10, as well as another using the same principle but more affordable (although smaller) waterproof tester, made also in Switzerland by Calypso: Search - waterproof testers

Not for use under pressure, but he is not using it that way; his external pressure just makes the plug tighter rather than trying to blow it out the end of the fitting.

Back
Top Bottom