Securing long hose primary donate second stage.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boltsnap connected with o-ring and zip tie for easy breakaway

1666658858614.jpeg

That is another reason I use the bungee loop retainer.

Hmmm Why use a SS bolt snap on a reg that uses a standard-length hose? Maybe I am not seeing the image correctly ...

rx7diver
Odd placement for the boltsnap, too. Looks uncomfortable.

When I first got them, they were under a buck, and they work almost as good as a boltsnap, which I use now.
marine-sports-mfg-marine-sports-octo-holder.jpg
When I taught OW diving pool sessions, we used those. We always took extras to the pool for when one broke.

You might notice that all of the top divers in the world who are using long hoses employ a bolt snap on the hose. The reason it is there is to secure it when not being breathed such as when a diver is on a stage or deco bottle or is an out-of-gas diver in training or for real. The snap is nice for 3 reasons:

1) Less likely to corrode when using high-quality stainless steel.
2) Muscle memory since bolt snaps are the most common method for securing equipment such as backup lights and submersible pressure gauges.
3) Availablity. If you lose one, chances are any tech diver has 1 or 100 of them in a save-a-dive kit or toolbox.

You do not use the snap while breathing from the regulator, but you should be able to get the regulator into your mouth when it is clipped off in an emergency.

You can view the use of the snap on the long hose here: Trace Malinowski Basic 5
I'm in awe of your mask clearing skill. I wanna be like Trace when I grow up!

View attachment 749968
As a new diver and without the benefit of experience, this looks like the cleanest, simplest configuration that still provides break-a-way. I am setting up a brand new long hose reg set with a new BP/W. This is how I'll do it. Thanks!

The point of the bolt snap is that it's one hand operable, any other means of securing the gear requires two hands. Be it octo keepers or buckles or double-enders.

Back
Top Bottom