Securing long hose primary donate second stage.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

'Didn't like the weight of the bolt snap ...
That SS bolt snap on the long hose always makes me think of a lure, dangling there next to your face. A friend, working on Grand Cayman at the time, recounted the story of a diver losing a couple of fingers to a barracuda. They believe the barracuda was after the rings on those fingers. In a flash, it got those rings!

rx7diver

'Didn't like the weight of the bolt snap, nor it rubbing against second stage cover. Got this idea off another Scubaboard divers post. Rubber O-ring from hardware store affixed with Brett B Hemphill's method. Use working double ender to secure to chest d-ring. 🅾️
View attachment 749746
This is nice. A bit like what I had in mind with a bungee loop on reg and boltsnap on my BCD but using an O-ring will work better. Thanks!

What does this complex solution offer that a small boltsnap does not with fewer parts, less bulk and danglies and none of it plastic (unless you use a plastic boltsnap)?

If you are going Hog(arthian) then go Whole Hog :wink:.
I have gone to a necklace configuration for my octopus, but the second best solution for securing an octopus; in my opinion, is one of those fastex clips.

-You don't use any belts, rather you zip tie the one half (the one with the angled end) directly to the hose about 4 inches from the second stage. Alternatively tie with string etc. For the other end, you attach to your BC D-ring, but you tie it with a few sections of rubber band. This hold the octopus extremely securely, will never fall off and cant get jammed with silt like a bolt snap.

In an emergency, you press the fastex clip and it opens to free the octopus. If there is no time for that, you, or the panicked buddy, just grabs the reg and rips it off breaking the rubber bands. As long as you replace the bands once or twice a year, it is extremely secure and simple and if the rubber bands should break unintentionally, then you have a loose octo for one dive, not a huge problem for a rec. diver. Never happened to me actually. It really is better than any off the shelf octopus holder I have ever seen and it costs almost nothing to try.

Again I prefer the necklace.

I have gone to a necklace configuration for my octopus, but the second best solution for securing an octopus; in my opinion, is one of those fastex clips.

-You don't use any belts, rather you zip tie the one half (the one with the angled end) directly to the hose about 4 inches from the second stage. Alternatively tie with string etc. For the other end, you attach to your BC D-ring, but you tie it with a few sections of rubber band. This hold the octopus extremely securely, will never fall off and cant get jammed with silt like a bolt snap.

In an emergency, you press the fastex clip and it opens to free the octopus. If there is no time for that, you, or the panicked buddy, just grabs the reg and rips it off breaking the rubber bands. As long as you replace the bands once or twice a year, it is extremely secure and simple and if the rubber bands should break unintentionally, then you have a loose octo for one dive, not a huge problem for a rec. diver. Never happened to me actually. It really is better than any off the shelf octopus holder I have ever seen and it costs almost nothing to try.

Again I prefer the necklace.

You’re really over thinking this. You don’t need to reinvent the wheel. The small bolt snap about a hand’s width away from the reg works just fine. The Dive Rite hose clip retainers work well to attach the bolt snap and are designed to come loose fast in an emergency.

When I first got them, they were under a buck, and they work almost as good as a boltsnap, which I use now.
marine-sports-mfg-marine-sports-octo-holder.jpg

Just put it on. You won’t even notice it’s there…and you’ll be glad you’ve got the bolt snap there when you need to stow it.

Again I prefer ---------

When beginning to move into more technical diving and standardized configurations personal preference goes out the window. My technical days are done I imagine and I never was DIR/GUE or such but I am Hogarthian and Minimalist and adhere as much as possible to that standard configuration as adapted to open water (and single tank) sport diving.

You’re really over thinking this. You don’t need to reinvent the wheel. The small bolt snap about a hand’s width away from the reg works just fine. The Dive Rite hose clip retainers work well to attach the bolt snap and are designed to come loose fast in an emergency.
re-invent? I think my fastex clip idea pre-dated their clip retainer.

Been using these for awhile now.
IMG_20221024_095631.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom