Second hand reg ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I read the deep6 service options, it seemed like parts were just included in the service. Didn't matter where you got the reg from.

Not so much an explicit parts for life system like you get from some other brands (if you purchase it new from retail).

BTW, off topic, but where exactly do you buy service on the website?

When I read the deep6 service options, it seemed like parts were just included in the service. Didn't matter where you got the reg from.

Not so much an explicit parts for life system like you get from some other brands (if you purchase it new from retail).

But that is the same as what 'free parts for life' programs are. You pay for service, you get the parts free. You can't get the parts without paying for service with them.

We just think our system is better because you don't have to maintain a service interval for ours to apply. Some brands say you have to service the reg every year to maintain eligibility, if you miss a year, your free parts get canceled.

With our program we are fine with you sending it whenever it needs service, as long as you maintain your service plan (your price is locked in at initial price forever) you are good to go.

BTW, off topic, but where exactly do you buy service on the website?

Honestly, I haven't put it into the site yet. Since the first service is free, and because we are using more durable service kit components, the soonest anyone would even need the first free service is July 2018 because we have a 2 year suggested service interval, meaning a subscription service would be 2019 or later.

I will get them entered soon, but as you can tell from the above, we have some time before then anyway. lol

OP:

Don't mean to derail your thread. Back to the original topic. If you can get a used regulator for a good price, and can find someone to service it our check it out for a reasonable price is may be worth it. I used to dive a Titan LX, in fact it was my first regulator that I personally owned, a solid standard design.

The only thing that stuck out to me in reading your posts so far was that the current owner got it as part of a lot of equipment, and can't really say much as to how it has been maintained.....

In that case I wouldn't pay very much for it, but yeah, I would probably toss $100 at it, after I gave it a quick look to check for any obvious problems. However, I am capable of servicing my own regs, so I don't have to spend as much on the overall service which would make it more attractive as a buy to me.

Just some general pointers that may help:

Take the dust cap off, look at the filter, if it is green then water got inside the first as that is what caused the corrosion you are seeing.

Check the hoses, see if they are still fine, look for fine cracks or feel for stiffness.

Put it on a tank, test out each 2nd stage.

Does the outside of the reg look like it has been properly rinsed/soaked? i.e.: is there corrosion around where the hoses are attached to the first stage, etc. How does the tip of the inflator hose look?

So based on this info I'm looking 100 - 150 for the reg. $75 for overhaul labor plus 70 or 80 for parts. At that point I'm almost halfway to a new reg set. I think I'll just save up for that.

Thanks for the info all.

If you can buy a very good-to-great condition used set, get it serviced, and end up costing less than 50% of the same set brand-new, I'd go 'used' every time. (my sweet spot, price-wise, is in the 30-50% of new retail price range for a unit in extremely good-to-new condition) A new reg's warranty including 'free parts' isn't cost-effective for the typical consumer, given you still have to pay maybe $ 75/yr in annual labor to install those 'free' parts, and very few of us dive anywhere enough to justify 'annual' service. Additionally, on average, most reg failures seem to occur immediately after being serviced, so there are arguments made that 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'. school of thought. Not to say you should never get a reg serviced, but annually increases the chance of someone screwing it up.

Last edited:
I couldn't imagine buying a new regulator. The market on used regulators is excellent (for the buyer) and they are designed to be completely rebuild-able. The aqualung titan LX is a great regulator, by the way, with an extremely reliable, proven first stage design. Parts are very easy to find, there are lots of sources for information on rebuilding yourself, and many options for dealer service.

Back
Top Bottom