Second guessing my BC choice (Hydros Pro)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It should be mentioned that the quality of Scubapro is there, they make solid products but the real question is, is the quality worth the price over that of others? I venture to say that most anything we buy today is suitable for the average recreational Caribbean reef diver and even the common "cold" water diver. True cold water is a bit different. All of my Scubapro gear has seen the "cold" pacific waters of northern california as well as fresh water Florida springs. Perhaps moving weight around i.e. trim pockets, weight pockets, weight belts, would be of assistance to prevent rolling. Also, being properly weighted and by properly I dont mean add weight until you sink and kind of float at eye level major agency training style. I had a weight pocket fail while I was on the island so I switched to the "travel harness" that came with my BCD leaving me to use a weight belt and after I figured out where I wanted my weights positioned I felt more stable than I ever did with the integrated pockets. So much so that I wondered why I ever used the weight pockets. Moving weight around can work wonders for stability. It could be argued that because of weighting issues one has to inflate the bladder to a point that makes the slightest movements offset stability just enough to be annoying. Before I forget, Scubapro warrantied my weight pocket at no charge nor question. The only other issue I had with gas distribution on the Hydros was that when using the toggle dump at the top of the inflator hose as opposed to raising the hose to dump gas I found that a tiny almost negligible amount of air was still trapped in the bladder. My shoulder being the highest point or damn near the highest point one might believe that all the air would dump but sometimes this wasnt the case. I've also seen during a rescue course a student with the same hydros bcd have air trapped in the bladder but after watching him in the water the simple solution of body positioning solved the problem. Sometimes you might think you are positioned correctly for whatever it is you are trying to do but since we cant see ourselves it helps to receive feedback on what you really look like in the water. I do not believe there is a perfect setup for anyone or any amount/piece of equipment that can solve a body mechanics problem. Everything has a fault somewhere and everything has a trade off for certain things.

The only other issue I had with gas distribution on the Hydros was that when using the toggle dump at the top of the inflator hose as opposed to raising the hose to dump gas I found that a tiny almost negligible amount of air was still trapped in the bladder. My shoulder being the highest point or damn near the highest point one might believe that all the air would dump but sometimes this wasnt the case. I've also seen during a rescue course a student with the same hydros bcd have air trapped in the bladder but after watching him in the water the simple solution of body positioning solved the problem. Sometimes you might think you are positioned correctly for whatever it is you are trying to do but since we cant see ourselves it helps to receive feedback on what you really look like in the water. I do not believe there is a perfect setup for anyone or any amount/piece of equipment that can solve a body mechanics problem. Everything has a fault somewhere and everything has a trade off for certain things.

It can also be argued that there is no such thing as a completely empty BC bladder, of any design, you will always have some amount of air trapped somewhere in the BC. One has "to know their BC" and figure out a a way to get as much air out of the bladder as they have to for their diving. Key point, don't put in too much air into the BC on the surface or underwater to begin with.

I didn't think that the Hydros trapped any more air, if at all, than any other type of BC (including BP/W). I didn't have an issue with rolling or air trapped in one side of the bladder at all, none. I have used both the Hydros Pro and the Hydros X and both are fantastic BC's without any issues. In fact, they both were more comfortable and versatile BC's with lots of features and customizability.

There is no tool, piece of equipment or anything in this universe that is going to satisfy or fit all of the people, there will always be the exception and the out of the norm.

The Scubapro website says right there in big letters "Deep down you want the best" so if they said it it has to be true! I'm not falling for marketing the same way Jeep says "trail rated" but they fail to mention that they only test their vehicles with their own tests so that also has to be true!

The air bladder can taco up and fill unevenly which makes me 'roll' to one side or the other..not dramatically like a barrel roll, haha, but harder to stay level.
This happens to me as well in my Hydros X.

Since the Hydros X is a jacket style BCD, I am finding it hard to understand how it can "taco" around the cylinder.

I tried an Aqua Lung Outlaw for a while and complained of rolling. In this case, I believe it had more to do with the location of the weight pockets and the amount of weight I was using with heavier wetsuits. I really had no complaints regarding the 25# wing. Aqualung Outlaw

The Scubapro website says right there in big letters "Deep down you want the best" so if they said it it has to be true! I'm not falling for marketing the same way Jeep says "trail rated" but they fail to mention that they only test their vehicles with their own tests so that also has to be true!
Deep down you want a rebreather

It can also be argued that there is no such thing as a completely empty BC bladder, of any design, you will always have some amount of air trapped somewhere in the BC. One has "to know their BC" and figure out a a way to get as much air out of the bladder as they have to for their diving...
As per earlier post, I have dived a SP Knighthawk for a long time Second guessing my BC choice (Hydros Pro). The only dump I use is the right butt dump. It gives me fine tuning of air dumps. By going somewhat head down, butt up and right side up, I believe I get all or nearly all the air out of the wing. Using this dump is completely second nature to me after all of this time.

As per earlier post, I have dived a SP Knighthawk for a long time Second guessing my BC choice (Hydros Pro). The only dump I use is the right butt dump. It gives me fine tuning of air dumps. By going somewhat head down, butt up and right side up, I believe I get all or nearly all the air out of the wing. Using this dump is completely second nature to me after all of this time.

You dove your Knighthawk for 2005 dives and you are most proficient with it and know it more than you know your posterior :) It is part of your body after all of these years and many dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom