Second guessing my BC choice (Hydros Pro)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PalmettoDiver0215

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I purchased the Hydros Pro a year ago. I've had about 30 dives on it. Overall, I'm satisfied with it. When I was doing research, most of the reviews I saw were glowing. But now reading deeper, I see there's a lot of negative opinions about it...I have noticed it rolling on me, but nothing (knock on wood) has torn or ripped. Obviously, I'm concerned about improving my buoyancy/trim. I dive in the southeast US/caribbean - rec only - no more than a 5mm suit at any time. I don't really have plans to go tech. I'm quite content with rec.

Would switching to a backplate/wing be a better choice? Better enough to be worth the hassle of trying to sell the Hydros Pro?

Thanks

Not worth it at all in my experience and no reason whatsoever for recreational single tank diving. I have a bp/w bc I hardly use for single tank diving but the Scubapro gets used most of time.

Don't let the noise on the internet especially on SB make you take unnecessary and wasteful decisions.

My answer is - it depends. Find someone with an extra backplate and give it a try. I know a few people that switched from jacket style to BP/W. I use BP/W exclusively and rarely dive doubles. I like the stability the plate provides, the minimalism of the harness, and the weight the plate provides for my floatieness.

I do agree that you shouldn't base your decision strictly on other's opinions, but don't dismiss the BP/W either.

I purchased the Hydros Pro a year ago. I've had about 30 dives on it. Overall, I'm satisfied with it. When I was doing research, most of the reviews I saw were glowing. But now reading deeper, I see there's a lot of negative opinions about it...I have noticed it rolling on me, but nothing (knock on wood) has torn or ripped. Obviously, I'm concerned about improving my buoyancy/trim. I dive in the southeast US/caribbean - rec only - no more than a 5mm suit at any time. I don't really have plans to go tech. I'm quite content with rec.

Would switching to a backplate/wing be a better choice? Better enough to be worth the hassle of trying to sell the Hydros Pro?

Thanks
What do you mean exactly by "it rolling on me"? While I'm no fan of the Hydros Pro as it is way overpriced for the functionality (have to be a total SP fanboi to buy/recommend one), now that you have it, unless you can to resell it for enough to buy a BP/W, you might as well keep it.

Having seen a Hydros Pro in person, but never used one personally, I don't know that you'd see a significant difference in your use case. It's basically a really spendy soft plate with weight pockets. A BPW might stabilize the tank a bit more (due to the rigid width of it), but I doubt by enough to matter.
As others said, borrow a BPW to try, and go from there.... but with the money already spent, I'd just dive the hell out of what you have.

Respectfully,

James

What do you mean exactly by "it rolling on me"? While I'm no fan of the Hydros Pro as it is way overpriced for the functionality (have to be a total SP fanboi to buy/recommend one), now that you have it, unless you can to resell it for enough to buy a BP/W, you might as well keep it.

The air bladder can taco up and fill unevenly which makes me 'roll' to one side or the other..not dramatically like a barrel roll, haha, but harder to stay level.

The air bladder can taco up and fill unevenly which makes me 'roll' to one side or the other..not dramatically like a barrel roll, haha, but harder to stay level.
I'm actually shocked by that. That should NEVER happen. I'd talk to ScubaPro if it is under warranty. If not, I'd look how much I can get for it and then get a BP/W with a donut shaped wing. I also dive in warm water in a 5 mil, and I use a SS BP that I don't mind hauling around as then I don't need anything else (I like compact as much as possible). If a SS BP+STA isn't enough (6 lbs), I'd add just enough weight in a trim pocket to dive a balanced rig and hold a safety stop at 500 psi.

I had about 150 dives on mine. Then moved to a xdeep zen.
Virtually no difference in mechanics. The hydros pro was good.
I wanted to sell it while it was still in pristine condition. Because I know the rubber parts would wear shortly.

Thanks
In my opinion it certainly would have been a better choice but at the same time it probably isn't worth the hassle of selling the hydros. If you have good buoyancy/trim then you have it, the rigs can make achieving it a bit easier but it's not a magic bullet, especially on buoyancy. A good diver can negotiate a jacket with a weight belt just as easily as they can a stainless backplate, one just requires a bit less active input to stay flat...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom