Second Annual? Rocky Mountain Oyster get-together.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seems like most weekends I work.... If you came to Chatfield maybe I'd at least get to meet you guys but Aurora sounds enticing too. I think the only weekend I have is Saturday the 12th of August...

PF :14:

I like the Chatfield idea simply because I haven't been diving there yet. Are we allowed to dive in the main pond where the boaters are? Or are divers restricted to the gravel pit?

If we wait too long, Aurora will be way low again due to the draw off for drinking. That's ok, but it's hard to dig a deep enough hole in the mud to dive in.

I'm not sure if diving is restricted to the Kingfisher ponds. I never dive the main lake because of the danger of being hit by a boat. For the summer season I would avoid the main lake.

Hey guys!

I'm out of town until July 25th, so I guess anything after that works for me.

Aurora was already shallower this year than last year when we dove it. The plane was not even at 25'. Maybe they have filled it a bit.

You can NOT dive the main lake in Chatfield. I know CharlieO likes Chatfield. I hear the only diving worst than Aurora in the area is Chatfield! :lol:

If we did Aurora, we could make it a CrawDadFest! If the vis drops there as the bloom grows, about the only fun you can have there is finding DADS!

I really don't care where we schedule this. I am starting to come to the conclusion there IS not good diving anywhere in state! CharlieO says that Jefferson has 25' of vis at times. However our dive there a couple weeks back was closer to 25inches of vis!

We could make a night of it, and CharlieO says that Turquoise lake has good vis. However see my previous comment on his Vis reports! :D A campout at Turquoise lake could be fun for other reasons!

Knotical was telling me about Turquoise too.

Has anyone been to the res at Ridgway state park? The park website mentions scuba diving there, but that's it. This is down near Ridgeway CO, NW of Ouray.

That would have to be a weekend thing.

I have been to that res. Have not dived it.
Its a beautiful place, but I can't believe that it would be very good. Its relatively shallow and has a silty bottom. I would be willing to give it a try though!

The best part about it is the proximity to hot springs! Ouray and Telluride are close too! Those factors could make for a really fun RMO weekend!

Blue Mesa Res is closer to the front range, has no rules about driving vehicles right down to the water, and has a number of places that have rocky sides and bottom.

Blue Mesa was my next choice. The lack of shade though makes it rough. Some tarps or tents would be needed.

But if you can drive right up to the waterline, damn that's easy shore diving.

Wijbrandus:
Blue Mesa was my next choice. The lack of shade though makes it rough. Some tarps or tents would be needed.

But if you can drive right up to the waterline, damn that's easy shore diving.

I have been wanting to do Blue Mesa because of the submerged town. I have been told that it is best to that lake in late August.

Hee hee, that sounds tasty to me. Do you know where the town is? Is it in shore-diving reach?

Scuba diving a haunted town under the lake - sounds like a Dirk Pitt novel.

Late August is plenty doable for me.

Dan, you think you are actually going to SEE that submerged town down there in Blue Mesa? I know you dream of it! :eyebrow: Kent, ever see anything down there other than muck? I think Blue Mesa would be very iffy hitting it at the right time, and a long drive.

Turquoise lake is a couple, maybe 2.5 hours from Denver as are many of the places suggested. Blue Mesa is 4+ hours I believe, and that gets to be a three day weekend event, or a lot of driving as we have all likely done it over two days. I'm not sure if anyone wants to commit to that type of time, expense or driving for a RMO get together?

I don't have an issue with where we go. However, if it's going to be 4+ hours away, why not just go down to the Hole where we have good vis, and can hook up with the Rocky Mtn. Brothers in New Mexico?

Thoughts?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom