Second Annual? Rocky Mountain Oyster get-together.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

charlieo:
Does this mean no
Turquoise Lake trip on the 19th of August?

I want to do both. I would like to hit Turquoise the 12th, 13th. My wife can go the weekend of the 12th, and would enjoy going to Leadville.

Ron,

I will give you a call tonight to discuss rideshare, etc. for Blue Hole the 19th.

ABQdiver:
True enough, but we like you jacket wearing divers too!!!:1poke: :banana:

We are doing another Fundies class over there this upcoming weekend too. Looks like I'm going owe the wife big time after this month.........

Hey, I don't wear no stinkin Jacket! Back Inflate baby, the evolution of the BP!! :mooner:

Actually I would love to try out a BP/W combo. I had a couple offers after our last dive at the Hole last time (a bit late :D ). Maybe this trip I can borrow a BP/W for a dive.

RonFrank:
Hey, I don't wear no stinkin Jacket! Back Inflate baby, the evolution of the BP!! :mooner:

Actually I would love to try out a BP/W combo. I had a couple offers after our last dive at the Hole last time (a bit late :D ). Maybe this trip I can borrow a BP/W for a dive.

That might work, if I get off my butt and string the other backplate I have with the harness you can use the singles setup. I'll be diving the doubles anyway.

ABQdiver:
That might work, if I get off my butt and string the other backplate I have with the harness you can use the singles setup. I'll be diving the doubles anyway.

That would be cool! Two issues. I have weight, but no belt. I could get a belt, and Dan has one that we found together that I could likely borrow if I can get him to remember to bring it.

More of an issue, I dive with an octo+ I've been meaning to get a real second, but the one I want is a bit expensive, and I'm not going to have it in two weeks. If you have a second on another setup, I could attached it to my reg setup in a few minutes. I know Kent has a spare reg setup, but not sure if he will be going as he has not posted.

I'm betting we can work something out! :D

Without a doubt! I've got a couple of reg setups (I'm assuming long hose and bungied second here, right?) I've got another weight belt as well.

ABQdiver:
Without a doubt! I've got a couple of reg setups (I'm assuming long hose and bungied second here, right?) I've got another weight belt as well.

Hey all,
How did the weekend go. Wish I could have been there but I was out of town.
Did you get the gear worked out? If you need any more, I have some extra....

Jasonmh:
Hey all,
How did the weekend go. Wish I could have been there but I was out of town.
Did you get the gear worked out? If you need any more, I have some extra....

We had a great weekend, rain and all!

I tried a BP/W setup, and damn if I don't want one! Trim was easy, and it was as everyone says, stable as a rock, very minimal, and I did not mind wearing 10lbs of soft weight in a belt which is a far cry from the 24 I wear integrated.

My only complaint, what a bear to get out of! I think I'd go with a QR shoulder. Yes I know, evil failure point, but I really don't care, I'm not sure I want to have to attend Yoga classes to be able to get out of the thing without help! :lol:

Dan and I did five dives, two with Kevin and Will, and two with Tom from Taos. Every dive was enjoyable, even if most divers there don't seem to understand that if you kick the crap out of the bottom, the vis is GOING to suffer! :mooner: Why ohhh why don't divers stay OFF the bottom.

We also saw one of the strangest divers I've ever seen. We had circled up from the bottom, and were at about 40feet staying level along the sides (typical profile) when we saw this diver approaching. I've NEVER seen so much action in my life from someone! His arms were going, his legs were going, his body was shaking, his head was bobbing, the guy was just in total motion. The irony was that we stayed at 40', and we saw him four times as we lapped with him swimming the opposite direction. He was a complet spaz, yet he maintained his buoyancy, and others in our group commented that he was not blowing bubbles huge, so likely not killing his air.. Very strange, so strange that every one of us commented on it after the dive was over!

Wow is NM green! Amazing how green, and how much rain they have been getting.

As Dan and I drove down (6 hours) we discussed what idiots we are for spending so much time, and gas on diving a place that while enjoyable, we've both done it many times, and it's a far cry from the tropics!

However once we were diving, it was worth it. Add in a couple newfound friends, and an older friend (no, I'm not calling Kevin old!), and the experience went beyond good. On the way home we discussed what we had learned (we ALWAYS learn something at the hole). I can not dive anywhere else in driving distance to 80' with good vis. Add enjoyable folks, and it all is worth the trip! Yes, we will be back I'm sure at least twice or more over the coming winter. I KNOW even with Coz in Jan, I'll be jones'n for a Hole trip shortly!

Excellent, sounds like a great time.

Yeah, those BPs are addictive :) Maybe we'll see you out there with your own someday. I hear you about them being difficult to get out of. I had the same trouble at first too. But after some adjusting, and getting better at the technique, over the first 10-15 dives I was able to do it with no problem. I have 2 bad shoulders from some old sports injuries too. But, QR or no, once I tried it I found it hard to go back.

BH certainly ain't great, but it's better than nothing. And to me, diving at all is better than not diving.

Hopefully I'll see you out there sometime.

Jason

RonFrank:

I tried a BP/W setup, and damn if I don't want one! Trim was easy, and it was as everyone says, stable as a rock, very minimal, and I did not mind wearing 10lbs of soft weight in a belt which is a far cry from the 24 I wear integrated.

My only complaint, what a bear to get out of! I think I'd go with a QR shoulder. Yes I know, evil failure point, but I really don't care, I'm not sure I want to have to attend Yoga classes to be able to get out of the thing without help! :lol:

Dan and I did five dives, two with Kevin and Will, and two with Tom from Taos. Every dive was enjoyable, even if most divers there don't seem to understand that if you kick the crap out of the bottom, the vis is GOING to suffer! :mooner: Why ohhh why don't divers stay OFF the bottom.

We also saw one of the strangest divers I've ever seen. We had circled up from the bottom, and were at about 40feet staying level along the sides (typical profile) when we saw this diver approaching. I've NEVER seen so much action in my life from someone! His arms were going, his legs were going, his body was shaking, his head was bobbing, the guy was just in total motion. The irony was that we stayed at 40', and we saw him four times as we lapped with him swimming the opposite direction. He was a complet spaz, yet he maintained his buoyancy, and others in our group commented that he was not blowing bubbles huge, so likely not killing his air.. Very strange, so strange that every one of us commented on it after the dive was over!

Wow is NM green! Amazing how green, and how much rain they have been getting.

As Dan and I drove down (6 hours) we discussed what idiots we are for spending so much time, and gas on diving a place that while enjoyable, we've both done it many times, and it's a far cry from the tropics!

However once we were diving, it was worth it. Add in a couple newfound friends, and an older friend (no, I'm not calling Kevin old!), and the experience went beyond good. On the way home we discussed what we had learned (we ALWAYS learn something at the hole). I can not dive anywhere else in driving distance to 80' with good vis. Add enjoyable folks, and it all is worth the trip! Yes, we will be back I'm sure at least twice or more over the coming winter. I KNOW even with Coz in Jan, I'll be jones'n for a Hole trip shortly!

RonFrank:

Glad to hear it was a good weekend! Hoped you didn't get rained out.

Sure do understand what you mean about that bp/w setup. Want to join me at Flatirons Scuba on Thursday while I order my new rig with QR shoulders? :lol:

Back
Top Bottom