Seaskin Nova pocket recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mje113

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Just about to pull the trigger on my new Seaskin! One thing I can't decide on is the proper pocket size. I plan on getting one for each leg, mounted on the outside of my thigh. Bellows or Large bellows? Right now I'm used to diving with only one small pocket on my BCD that I don't actively use. Everything gets clipped.

But, thinking I may want to move reel+dsmb and a spare mask to pockets. Maybe other stuff not sure. Any opinions?

Personally, biggest pockets that still have a velcro flap closure. I hate zipper pockets, so avoid them (accessory pocket is okay but main pocket imho should be velcro). I personally would get two of the biggest ones, I have never had the thought gee I wish my pockets were smaller, but had the opposite a few times. Your mileage may very.

I got two of their zippered pockets and they are great. I don't like velcro pockets so I avoid it. My left pocket fits a 6ft DSMB with spool and has room to put a 100lb lift bag (when I take it) in next to it. Right pocket has my spare light and mesh bag if I take it. Both have plastic D rings to attach bolt-snaps or bungee loops to.

Edit: I saw a Nova with the smaller velcro pockets this weekend. Avoid those if at all possible. They are pathetically small.

I've got a Seaskin that I bought secondhand; it has the zippered pockets. They're secure, but that's their only real virtue. I don't groove on them a lot.

1) The zippered pockets are kinda small. I carry a 6' DSMB and a 150' spool in my right pocket, and those two items take up pretty much ALL the room. I have zero idea how @Boarderguy manages to fit anything else. (Admittedly, mine is a secondhand suit cut for a toothpick-dude and I'm of a more substantial build. Maybe my burly, buffed-out, trunk-like thighs are squeezing the pockets from the inside? :p )

2) The zippered pockets aren't very dryglove-friendly. I have fairly large hands (XXL gloves) and when I have drygloves on, which is most of the time when diving a drysuit, I can't quite reach the bottom of the zippered pockets. If something's fallen into the depths, then it's stuck there until I get out.

3) The zippers can be a challenge to manage properly. I've ended up with a mask or my backup light halfway hanging out because I couldn't get them stuffed back in properly, couldn't get the zippers redone, or both.

Also, one of the zipper pull tabs broke off a year-plus ago. I replaced it with a split ring (like a key ring), which works well but isn't exactly optimal.

I ordered the big ol' Expedition pockets on my new Seaskin, which should be arriving next month.

I get the large zippered pocket, for me only one and a don’t use it much except to put my dry fob in when I drive and to put trash I pick up on a dive in, I really dislike the Velcro because they are to dang secure, hard to open.

zippered come with a double zip, I position both at the forward corner and put a long pull tab on the more rearward zip, this way I know where I am when I need to open it.

take a good estimate of the size you need and go from there, you’ll never get them as cheap as an add on to a Seaskin while it’s being built.

I've got the large bellows pockets, and I'd switch to the expedition or potentially the large zippered if I had to order another suit. I find the top flap of the large bellows too flimsy to locate with dry gloves on. I predominantly dive sidemount now (and have pockets set up for backmount), so I don't use my pockets anymore except for trash/treasure. They're easy enough to open, but finding that flap to close them back up, especially with a tank right there, is a real pain.

And the pull tab came off one of the flaps after the first dive. The other (and the rest of the suit) is still going strong after three+ years, though.

The zippered pockets are kinda small. I carry a 6' DSMB and a 150' spool in my right pocket, and those two items take up pretty much ALL the room. I have zero idea how @Boarderguy manages to fit anything else
I have a 100' spool on my dsmb. If I position everything correct I can jam the lift bag down beside that setup and barely get the zip closed, but I don't own that pocket until I need it.
The zippered pockets aren't very dryglove-friendly. I have fairly large hands (XXL gloves) and when I have drygloves on, which is most of the time when diving a drysuit
You can make all your zips glove and hand friendly. I'm able to manipulate each one no problem since I got creative with my 550 cord. The dry zip pull gets laid beneath the zip cover once I've closed it. Zip cover pull just dangles all willy nilly. Each pocket has a quick loop on the rear zipper so I know I'm an closing or opening based solely on which direction I'm pulling. I can't grab the untethered one so it doesn't move when I'm diving.
20230509_151320.jpg

20230509_151333.jpg

20230509_151353.jpg

I have a 100' spool on my dsmb. If I position everything correct I can jam the lift bag down beside that setup and barely get the zip closed, but I don't own that pocket until I need it.

You can make all your zips glove and hand friendly. I'm able to manipulate each one no problem since I got creative with my 550 cord. The dry zip pull gets laid beneath the zip cover once I've closed it. Zip cover pull just dangles all willy nilly. Each pocket has a quick loop on the rear zipper so I know I'm an closing or opening based solely on which direction I'm pulling. I can't grab the untethered one so it doesn't move when I'm diving.
View attachment 782790
View attachment 782791
View attachment 782792

I have zipper pulls on all my zipper pockets and still hate them with a burning passion. I find velcro to me an immeasurable upgrade. And that’s using wet or no gloves, with dry gloves forget about it, I don’t have pockets at that point. I’m either selling my drysuit that has them or sending it off to get the pockets swapped (and maybe repositioned a little bit more forward instead of to the side).

Hey, thanks for all the advice and opinions! I ended up going with the Large Bellows.

I have the expedition pockets and they are great. I find you can never have too much pocket space!

Back
Top Bottom