Review Seaskin Nova drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought the nova with:

sitech quick neck
sitech valve set

But I did not find:

- Tool for attaching the neck seal and Lock Ring ( the day I will replace the neck seal how I will do? )

- Tool for attaching detaching Valve

for who has the same configuration, did you find the tools?

also but is not a issue because I can download pdf, I did not find any manuals.
If you haven't yet, definitely contact Seaskin.
I got call yesterday that my suit is shipped and I asked if I need to order tool separately.
Answer is no, tool comes in a kit for quick neck. Seaskin did not have some stuff in stock, so they decided to ship suits with non-essentials missing and ship those when available.

Been waiting 2.5 weeks for them to ship 2 sitech neck seals for a trip in march.. No email responses to me despite 3 emails sent to them, no answering calls. Scared that I ordered my drysuit from them last year and if an issue arises, this is not reassuring. How can you not put 2 siflex neck seals in a box and ship them in a timely matter? No indication they are/were out of stock at all. I just initiated a paypal dispute against them and the funny thing is Seaskin responded to the paypal dispute, but Seaskin still hasn't had the common courtesy of responding to my numerous emails on when my neck seals will be shipping.

Thanks for the reply. Where I’m living the dive shop still sells the old grey transmitter, as well as the new swift. The price difference is about 50usd as they offer a small amount of discount on the swift. I also found someone locally selling a 2nd hand yellow sw transmitter for around 100 usd less than the new (old style) transmitter. It’s about 2 years old now but only has a handfull of dives on it and is being sold with other kit like a perdix and bcd etc. I already own a teric

I have a dilemma 😅

New swift
Or
Old style (but new) sw transmitter - 50 usd saving
Or
2nd hand yellow sw trans - 150 usd saving (over the swift)

You can duplicate the function of this piece and protect the repair by keeping the outer zip closed a few inches as you get your arms in it.

I know this ended up being moot, but for the record, if the issue had been at the other end of the zipper, I think doing what you suggested would be counter-productive. I think the reason for that leash (or whatever you want to call it) is to prevent the zipper teeth OR dock from getting bent at too sharp of an angle. If you have the zipper partly pulled (past the leash) then if you really pull the zipper apart hard (as the posted must have done in order to break that leash), you are really stressing the teeth of the zipper and potentially breaking a zipper tooth.

That is why it is recommended to always store your suit with the zipper either all the way open or all the way closed, but never part way zipped. All the way closed is best, but all the way open is still okay.

I bought the nova with:

sitech quick neck
sitech valve set

But I did not find:

- Tool for attaching the neck seal and Lock Ring ( the day I will replace the neck seal how I will do? )

- Tool for attaching detaching Valve

for who has the same configuration, did you find the tools?

also but is not a issue because I can download pdf, I did not find any manuals.

The Si Tech Quick Neck system comes with the tool, as changing seals is a normal maintenance activity.

For inflate and deflate valves, removing and replacing them is not a "normal" activity, so they do not come with the tool for doing that. At least, none of mine did.

I am looking at the Seaskin and appreciate your review. It's been a few years. How has you suit held up? Knowing what you know now, what features would you think are essential/unnecessary/annoying? The number of choices for this suit are almost overwhelming.

My suit has been flawless... until a couple of weeks ago. I was helping teach a class down in FL for a week and had a couple of issues.

1) my neck seal pulled out of the quick neck ring just a little bit, so the suit was leaking the whole day. However, I think that was really my fault, not so much the Quick Neck system. I have been having some shoulder mobility issues and I think I just pulled a little too hard trying to either remove it the day before or put it on that morning, and it was me that flexed the ring and pulled the seal out a bit.

2) Even with that fixed, I was getting wet in my right leg every day after that. The water was relatively warm (FL spring water), so I generally didn't even notice until I got out of my suit at the end of the day. Class was so busy that I didn't have time to futz with the suit to figure out where it was leaking and haven't messed with it since I got home. I do vaguely remember noticing something at one point that makes me think now maybe it was leaking at the seam where the attached sock is glued to the bottom of the right leg. I won't be surprised if that's where it is leaking. I have very limited mobility in my right ankle from an old motorcycle racing injury. The result is donning the right leg of my suit often results in me pulling against some resistance to get the right foot on. I can't point my toes down to help. So, I might have been overstressing the seam there and have started to pull it apart a bit.

Once I identify the leak, it should be easy to fix with some Aquaseal.

So, with all that, I would say my Nova has been awesome! I would absolutely buy another one, if I needed one. And if I did, the things I would change are, well, MAYBE I would get flap pockets, instead of zippered pockets. But, only because they only have 1 size of zippered pocket and it's not as big as their biggest flap pocket. I have occasionally wished the pockets were a little bigger, to hold a wide, 6' SMB, and a 250' reel.

Maybe I would get attached boots. I got the Seaskin Tech boots on my Seaskin Ultra (neoprene) suit and I they seem pretty good and fit me well. I don't think I really lose any ankle mobility with those versus attached socks and my NRS boots. I had thought that having attached socks and easily replaceable separate booties would save me having maintenance or repair issues on the suit itself. But, based on what I wrote above about my possible leak, that may have been a bad assumption. And attached boots would obviously be a little more convenient.

Also, MAYBE I would get the ring setup for the wrists that would work with the Ultima rings. Mainly because it's a lot less money, but also I think (??) the end result is a bit flexible, versus the Kubi rings that are definitely NOT flexible. That would be a tough call. the Kubi rings really are awesome. And sized perfectly for my hand. Since I already have the Kubi gloves, I would probably stick with Kubi rings on the suit. If I did not have the Kubi gloves, then I would probably get the other setup.

Other than that, I can't think of anything I would consider to do differently with my Nova suit.

I know this ended up being moot, but for the record, if the issue had been at the other end of the zipper, I think doing what you suggested would be counter-productive. I think the reason for that leash (or whatever you want to call it) is to prevent the zipper teeth OR dock from getting bent at too sharp of an angle. If you have the zipper partly pulled (past the leash) then if you really pull the zipper apart hard (as the posted must have done in order to break that leash), you are really stressing the teeth of the zipper and potentially breaking a zipper tooth.

That is why it is recommended to always store your suit with the zipper either all the way open or all the way closed, but never part way zipped. All the way closed is best, but all the way open is still okay.

The Si Tech Quick Neck system comes with the tool, as changing seals is a normal maintenance activity.

For inflate and deflate valves, removing and replacing them is not a "normal" activity, so they do not come with the tool for doing that. At least, none of mine did.

My suit has been flawless... until a couple of weeks ago. I was helping teach a class down in FL for a week and had a couple of issues.

1) my neck seal pulled out of the quick neck ring just a little bit, so the suit was leaking the whole day. However, I think that was really my fault, not so much the Quick Neck system. I have been having some shoulder mobility issues and I think I just pulled a little too hard trying to either remove it the day before or put it on that morning, and it was me that flexed the ring and pulled the seal out a bit.

2) Even with that fixed, I was getting wet in my right leg every day after that. The water was relatively warm (FL spring water), so I generally didn't even notice until I got out of my suit at the end of the day. Class was so busy that I didn't have time to futz with the suit to figure out where it was leaking and haven't messed with it since I got home. I do vaguely remember noticing something at one point that makes me think now maybe it was leaking at the seam where the attached sock is glued to the bottom of the right leg. I won't be surprised if that's where it is leaking. I have very limited mobility in my right ankle from an old motorcycle racing injury. The result is donning the right leg of my suit often results in me pulling against some resistance to get the right foot on. I can't point my toes down to help. So, I might have been overstressing the seam there and have started to pull it apart a bit.

Once I identify the leak, it should be easy to fix with some Aquaseal.

So, with all that, I would say my Nova has been awesome! I would absolutely buy another one, if I needed one. And if I did, the things I would change are, well, MAYBE I would get flap pockets, instead of zippered pockets. But, only because they only have 1 size of zippered pocket and it's not as big as their biggest flap pocket. I have occasionally wished the pockets were a little bigger, to hold a wide, 6' SMB, and a 250' reel.

Maybe I would get attached boots. I got the Seaskin Tech boots on my Seaskin Ultra (neoprene) suit and I they seem pretty good and fit me well. I don't think I really lose any ankle mobility with those versus attached socks and my NRS boots. I had thought that having attached socks and easily replaceable separate booties would save me having maintenance or repair issues on the suit itself. But, based on what I wrote above about my possible leak, that may have been a bad assumption. And attached boots would obviously be a little more convenient.

Also, MAYBE I would get the ring setup for the wrists that would work with the Ultima rings. Mainly because it's a lot less money, but also I think (??) the end result is a bit flexible, versus the Kubi rings that are definitely NOT flexible. That would be a tough call. the Kubi rings really are awesome. And sized perfectly for my hand. Since I already have the Kubi gloves, I would probably stick with Kubi rings on the suit. If I did not have the Kubi gloves, then I would probably get the other setup.

Other than that, I can't think of anything I would consider to do differently with my Nova suit.
@stuartv I think that Seaskin should appoint you as company's ambassador as you helped it to sell many wetsuits. I personally own Seaskin Nova and I am very happy about it.

@stuartv I think that Seaskin should appoint you as company's ambassador as you helped it to sell many wetsuits. I personally own Seaskin Nova and I am very happy about it.

LOL! That'll be the day!

I'm just happy to help people get into a drysuit - and thus be able to get out and dive more - when they might have previously thought they couldn't afford a drysuit at all, so they just didn't dive once it got too cold.

I'm also cheap and I am SUPER happy that I took a chance on Seaskin back when I put in my first order. :wink:

LOL! That'll be the day!

I'm just happy to help people get into a drysuit - and thus be able to get out and dive more - when they might have previously thought they couldn't afford a drysuit at all, so they just didn't dive once it got too cold.

I'm also cheap and I am SUPER happy that I took a chance on Seaskin back when I put in my first order. :wink:
I am not that cheap, but amount of money you pay is no guarantee of quality.
First dive in brand new suit (not mine suit).

Attachments

• viber_image_2021-10-19_12-31-06-531.jpg
    viber_image_2021-10-19_12-31-06-531.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 121
  • viber_image_2021-10-19_12-31-07-055.jpg
    viber_image_2021-10-19_12-31-07-055.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 116

So you're saying you'll come over to the dark side:) Just so you know, the Sitech PU rings themselves are flexible, but none of the systems that clip in (Waterproof Ultimas, Sitech Anteras, Rolock 90's) themselves are flexible (maybe you know that). My Ultimas are a little bit bulky. I don't really have any issue with them but sometimes I do look at them as think in a perfect world I'd prefer if they were smaller.

As far as I know only DUI zip seals and Santi whatever there new stuff is are flexible rings. The DUI zip seals look like a pain in the ass (to me), the Santi looks pretty cool but I believe the suit side ring is proprietary (at least I think).

I'm also cheap

I don't think you're cheap, just thrifty. Why pay 3x the cost of a suit that I'm eventually going to have to repair just like any other suit? No matter which suit any of us gets it WILL leak... I'm comfortable being "cheap" and fixing something that didn't break the bank in the 1st place.

If you're cheap I'm downright poor:D

Edit: Also, I always thought that socks would be the way to go, but now having ~ 90 dives in my used drysuit with boots attached, I think I'd prefer boots.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom