Review Seaskin Nova drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Halo AR might be thinner, I'm not sure. The Arctic is slightly thinner than the Halo 3D. As to the rest, I have no experience. Personally I wear some cheap (heavy duty) base layer from Amazon and the Halo 3D on 95% of my dives.

The only person I know that had owned both (maybe all 3 AR, 3D and Arctic) is @Tracy.

Merino wool also works amazing as a base, but it's pretty pricey. If I was planning to spend money on a base it would be the thickest set of Merino I could buy. It's not scratchy, very comfortable and ridiculously warm.
I have owned and dove all of the above. The arctic isn't really a heavy undergarment. It is what I use in 70 degree water. The halo AR is a bit thicker than the arctic, but not nearly as thick as the halo 3d.
Temperature wise, I found the AR and the 3D to be comparable warmth wise. The AR advantage is the lack of bulk.

The Halo AR is definitely warmer and thicker than the Arctic. Totally subjectively, I think the Halo AR is about the same bulk as a Santi Bz200, with the insulation of a BZ400 (at least a somewhat well-used BZ400). The Arctic is basically just a very thick fleece.
From what I've been told, the AR is as warm as the Halo 3D but not as thick. My 3D is definitely thicker then my Arctic, plus it has the panels built into it. I've never even seen a BZ that I could compare.

I have owned and dove all of the above. The arctic isn't really a heavy undergarment. It is what I use in 70 degree water. The halo AR is a bit thicker than the arctic, but not nearly as thick as the halo 3d.
Temperature wise, I found the AR and the 3D to be comparable warmth wise. The AR advantage is the lack of bulk.

How would you compare the AR/3D to a BZ400? I test-dove a well used Halo3D and it didn't feel any warmer than my basically new Seaskin 250. I did like that the Halo 3D was less bulky and that the condensation didn't make it stick to my drysuit as is seen with these Pertex type outer layers in thinsulate undergarments. But yeah, that's not helpful when I'm cold.

How would you compare the AR/3D to a BZ400? I test-dove a well used Halo3D and it didn't feel any warmer than my basically new Seaskin 250. I did like that the Halo 3D was less bulky and that the condensation didn't make it stick to my drysuit as is seen with these Pertex type outer layers in thinsulate undergarments. But yeah, that's not helpful when I'm cold.
I find the Halo, bz400, and weezle xtreme comparable temp wise. The AR is the least bulky from all of them.
Halo 3d was only warm in flat trim. It was designed to keep the water away from your chest and front of your legs when laying in trim. The back of the suit was not well insulated as there would be an air pocket there. If you dove the 3d vertical, it was not a warm suit.

Someone here (*cough* @stuartv) suggested that extending my dive season with a drysuit was the best way to build in-water experience.

So I did the things; I read this entire thread, I reviewed the options on Seaskin’s site, I thought about what I wanted to be able to dive with the suit, etc. Here’s what I plan on ordering, understanding that opinions differ on some of my choices.

-Seaskin Nova, black with orange stitching
-Fully telescoping
-Allowance for thick undersuits
-Plastic zipper with zipper cover
-Trigon pee valve
-Quick neck with silicone seal
-KUBI rings with neoprene covers
-SITech valves
-DIR dump location
-Inflation valve comfort patch
-Neoprene socks
-Knee pads with request for extra large “Kevlar” stitching
-Shoulder reinforcement
-40mm braces
-Glow patches (child of the 80’s)
-Name badge
-No logos
-Upgraded bag/changing mat
-Braces pocket
-2x Expedition pockets on outside seams

No undersuit: using merino base layers I have and purchasing something separately, maybe Arctic or WP Meshtec.

I know I need to add spare seals and the KUBI glove side to my order. What else?

McMaster-Carr for QDs. WP neoprene neck. Boots: looking hard at Altama maritimes since I wore that brand in the Army. Any other third-party purchases?

Someone here (*cough* @stuartv) suggested that extending my dive season with a drysuit was the best way to build in-water experience.

So I did the things; I read this entire thread, I reviewed the options on Seaskin’s site, I thought about what I wanted to be able to dive with the suit, etc. Here’s what I plan on ordering, understanding that opinions differ on some of my choices.

Yes-Seaskin Nova, black with orange stitching
Yes-Fully telescoping
~-Allowance for thick undersuits
Yes-Plastic zipper with zipper cover
Yes-Trigon pee valve
Yes (buy a waterproof neoprene replacement)-Quick neck with silicone seal
Ok but I prefer si-tech oval and Rolock-KUBI rings with neoprene covers
Yes-SITech valves
Not my choice-DIR dump location
Unnecessary-Inflation valve comfort patch
Yes-Neoprene socks
Not necessary and may (will) lead to repair problems-Knee pads with request for extra large “Kevlar” stitching
Unnecessary-Shoulder reinforcement
Meh-40mm braces
Cheaper than therapy-Glow patches (child of the 80’s)
Don’t know who you are?-Name badge
Logos are a sign of intelligence-No logos
Ok but a good size dry bag will protect the suit better-Upgraded bag/changing mat
Meh-Braces pocket
How much stuff do you plan to carry.-2x Expedition pockets on outside seams

No undersuit: using merino base layers I have and purchasing something separately, maybe Arctic or WP Meshtec.

I know I need to add spare seals and the KUBI glove side to my order. What else?

McMaster-Carr for QDs. WP neoprene neck. Boots: looking hard at Altama maritimes since I wore that brand in the Army. Any other third-party purchases?
:wink:

-Knee pads with request for extra large “Kevlar” stitching
You want Kevlar written in large letters?

Other then that, great suit. I got Rolock 90's, zipper pockets, and LM p valve.. other then that same suit (even down to the black / orange). Love my suit... sometimes I wish I knew what Velcro zippers felt like on it, but zippers are fine.

What did your total come to in USD. I'm just curious if they've gone up in price anymore.

-Seaskin Nova, black with orange stitching

Really, Pumpkin King? Really?? I'm shocked. SHOCKED, I tell ya'!

LOL!

I don't think I would get the neo covers for the Kubi rings. I don't see where they add any real value and I think they would just make the process of donning dry gloves that much more tedious.

Other than that, looks great.

Really, Pumpkin King? Really?? I'm shocked. SHOCKED, I tell ya'!

LOL!

I don't think I would get the neo covers for the Kubi rings. I don't see where they add any real value and I think they would just make the process of donning dry gloves that much more tedious.

Other than that, looks great.
I don't own Kubi's so no dog in the fight. @Boarderguy swears by them and the covers and this member is having issues with the rings wearing through their SS suit (without covers, not sure if that would help or not).

Back
Top Bottom