Review Seaskin Nova drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bit of an update after about 35 dives.

I thought I’d an issue with a leak on my Nova so tried leak testing it myself and found nothing. Put it down to not being able to get enough air pressure in the suit. So, left it with a guy who repairs drysuits and he tried it twice and he also found nothing. I think I’d maybe have preferred he found something!
After a days diving, the inside of the suit would be wet and the boots were wet inside. I’m guessing it’s condensation as no leak was found.
I bought a Waterproof Neoprene neck seal as recommended by @stuartv and it’s so much nicer than silicone. Pricey, but I think it’s worth the money. Easy enough to fit in the SiTech ring. Much better when on your back surface swimming as I’d get a cold neck and after a while sore head with silicone. Suit seems to be drier too but still not 100% dry inside. I don’t think a trilam suit would ever be 100% dry? My undersuit is a Waterproof Nord 200 so not sure if that makes any difference.
Currently got Waterproof Ultima DGS fitted which are now dry after a few teething problems. I’m using the Ansell (black marigolds) but might switch to Showa’s. I have both 620 and 720, although the orange of the 620 matches my colour scheme better 😬 I use the Kubi blue under gloves.

IMG_3852.jpeg

Bit harder getting in and out of my harness than the ovals though. Next suit I think will have Kubi fitted.

Overall though, I’m still happy with my Nova and it’s excellent value for money. I wouldn’t bother with the reinforcement options if ordering again as the suit material is quite thick and robust. I needed to add tri-glides to the braces to stop them slipping (£3 on eBay) so no big deal. The bellows pockets are too small though so I’d order larger expedition pockets and I think I may send it back to get the pockets changed. My reel and DSMB are a very tight fit
IMG_4200.jpeg

The SiTech neck ring makes the top of the suit sit up a bit as it’s not that flexible - again a trade off for quick change seals.
I’d like to see a bit of cover to the cuffs at the join with the rings as it’s frayed a bit -
IMG_3898.jpeg

Would give it a more finished look.
I’ve a Light Monkey Tinkle pee valve fitted that I haven’t used but it’s there if I ever decide to try it.
I’d love a Santi but even my man maths can’t justify paying for their marketing premium. My other options at the time I was buying were Otter Britannic 2 and O’Three 90 Ninety. I haven’t seen the O’Three in the flesh but it’s twice the price of my Seaskin - not sure it’s twice the suit?
A couple of friends have Otters and they are very good quality suits. Same thing with the Otter though, similar spec is close to £2K. My Nova was about £1100.

@Deezer-D If it’s just damp and it’s all over the inside of the suit, then it’s almost certainly just condensation from sweat and humidity that was trapped in the suit.

If the inside of your boots are getting wet and it’s really just there and not the whole suit, I will say that I did have a problem with my Seaskin Ultra (neoprene) suit when I first go it.

The boots had a leak in the bottom of the boot. Water was seeping in between the glued-on outsole and the underside of the boot sole itself, and then there was a tiny leak through the sole. It was the kind of thing that would be very hard to detect. I sent my suit back to Seaskin. They figured it out and replaced the boots. I did have to pay shipping to get it to them.

@Deezer-D If it’s just damp and it’s all over the inside of the suit, then it’s almost certainly just condensation from sweat and humidity that was trapped in the suit.

If the inside of your boots are getting wet and it’s really just there and not the whole suit, I will say that I did have a problem with my Seaskin Ultra (neoprene) suit when I first go it.

The boots had a leak in the bottom of the boot. Water was seeping in between the glued-on outsole and the underside of the boot sole itself, and then there was a tiny leak through the sole. It was the kind of thing that would be very hard to detect. I sent my suit back to Seaskin. They figured it out and replaced the boots. I did have to pay shipping to get it to them.
I’m nearly sure it’s condensation but a leak in the boots did cross my mind. After my last dive the suit was clammy so hopefully it’s just the conditions. Outside temp was 8C and water temp was 12C. The Nord is quite heavy and toasty so I probably give off more moisture than I think I do!
I’ll keep an eye on it over the next few dives. I’m in UK so sending it back is a cheap and simple process for me. Still might change the pockets and get Kubi’s fitted.

I’m nearly sure it’s condensation but a leak in the boots did cross my mind. After my last dive the suit was clammy so hopefully it’s just the conditions. Outside temp was 8C and water temp was 12C. The Nord is quite heavy and toasty so I probably give off more moisture than I think I do!
I’ll keep an eye on it over the next few dives. I’m in UK so sending it back is a cheap and simple process for me. Still might change the pockets and get Kubi’s fitted.
I almost prefer diving in the fall and winter when there's less humidity outside to contend with. Our summers here are pretty brutal, I'm always second guessing if I have a leak. Just dove last Wed, no humidity, absolutely dry all throughout.

Also.. if I have good / great undergarments to wick moisture away I never really feel wet while diving, I just see moisture when I'm done.

Seaskin suits are supposed to come with the correct lube for the type of zipper installed. My Nova came with the correct TiZip (I think) lube for my TiZip (I think) plastic zipper. My Ultra came with a bar of wax for its metal zipper.
I think this is what came with my Nova / plastic zipper:
IMG_0427.jpeg

But... it might have come with my Yeti cooler (also uses a waterproof zipper). I'm not sure if I should use it as it says Silicone free--thinking I might have confused the two and can't find any other zipper lube.

What should I get, and where would I find it? I searched amazon for TiZip, but nothing came up.

Seaskin uses YKK plastic zips but with that or TiZip you just lightly lube the docking end.
What do you mean by the "docking end"? The part that moves?

No, the U-end of the zipper, where moving part "docks" when you close the zipper.
Don't overdo it, lightly rub grease between your fingers and then just rub the docking end

I think this is what came with my Nova / plastic zipper:
View attachment 810652
But... it might have come with my Yeti cooler (also uses a waterproof zipper). I'm not sure if I should use it as it says Silicone free--thinking I might have confused the two and can't find any other zipper lube.

What should I get, and where would I find it? I searched amazon for TiZip, but nothing came up.

What do you mean by the "docking end"? The part that moves?
I'd have to dig for it but I "think" it says just to lightly lube the inside of the docking point. I lube it every few months. I think I can feel the docking get a little harder every once in a while so I'll add a little lube.

Not sure if the outside would matter? Someone prove me wrong?

I'd have to dig for it but I "think" it says just to lightly lube the inside of the docking point. I lube it every few months. I think I can feel the docking get a little harder every once in a while so I'll add a little lube.

Not sure if the outside would matter? Someone prove me wrong?
If you look at docking end, there is a little lip that goes around, on both sides. I lube inside of that and lip itself.

If you look at docking end, there is a little lip that goes around, on both sides. I lube inside of that and lip itself.
But not the outside...right?

I don't think the outside would matter.

Back
Top Bottom