Review Seaskin Nova drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To me, the Seaskin Tech Base adds a tiny bit of warmth, but it is so minor that I would not ever bother wearing it over anything else. I only wear it for its wicking properties. So, it's against my skin or don't bother.

It is supposed to be snug. Wearing it over anything else, I would be concerned that it would be reducing the loft of the wool and reducing the warmth of the wool (by a tiny bit).

I have 2 sets of the Seaskin base and just ordered a 3rd. I like to start every day with a fresh set of undies. When I was in 10 days of training recently, I had the luxury of a washer/dryer where we were staying and did a load of laundry every other day, for fresh undies every day. If I didn't have that, then at least my undies get a full day+ of drying before I wear them again.

One thing I'll note about the Seaskin tech base is that it wicks very well, but it does take a while to dry. If it's pretty damp at the end of a day, it might not be fully dry the next morning, if it is just hung up to air dry overnight. Especially in a humid environment.

I can't recall why I wore it over top... I just remember doing so, lol. Maybe to see if it was better? Idk..

I do know that I went back and forth between the 2 sets with my older neo ds on multiple dives. At the end of the dive I liked they way the merino felt better hands down, whether wet or dry. The seaskin just felt like it wanted to "cling" to my skin whereas the merino felt like thin pajamas.

I can't recall why I wore it over top... I just remember doing so, lol. Maybe to see if it was better? Idk..

I do know that I went back and forth between the 2 sets with my older neo ds on multiple dives. At the end of the dive I liked they way the merino felt better hands down, whether wet or dry. The seaskin just felt like it wanted to "cling" to my skin whereas the merino felt like thin pajamas.

I have a new set coming. I hope I don't find out that they changed something about them and they suck now!

I have a new set coming. I hope I don't find out that they changed something about them and they suck now!
It might just be my tender delicate silky smooth skin:)

Well, I just placed my order and will join the dry suit club... The only thing I was a bit nervous about was the extra suit allowance but most people I contacted on here suggested to get it since I'll be mainly diving in lakes <10 degrees celsius.

What I ordered:
  • Black Nova suit with orange stitching
  • Telescopic torso
  • Allowance for extra thick undergarments
  • Body Zip Cover
  • Plastic zip
  • Trigon Pee valve and hose tidy
  • Quick Neck system
  • Warm Neck Simple
  • Kubi 80mm glove system
  • DIR style Dump
  • Tech boots
  • Kevlar knee pads
  • PU reinforced shoulders
  • 40mm braces
  • no logos
  • Change mat upgrade
  • left and right thigh expedition pockets
  • 250gsm Undergarment
  • Spare set of neck and wrist seals
Now the wait begins and the time to recuperate from the purchase.

Well, I just placed my order and will join the dry suit club... The only thing I was a bit nervous about was the extra suit allowance but most people I contacted on here suggested to get it since I'll be mainly diving in lakes <10 degrees celsius.

What I ordered:
  • Black Nova suit with orange stitching
  • Telescopic torso
  • Allowance for extra thick undergarments
  • Body Zip Cover
  • Plastic zip
  • Trigon Pee valve and hose tidy
  • Quick Neck system
  • Warm Neck Simple
  • Kubi 80mm glove system
  • DIR style Dump
  • Tech boots
  • Kevlar knee pads
  • PU reinforced shoulders
  • 40mm braces
  • no logos
  • Change mat upgrade
  • left and right thigh expedition pockets
  • 250gsm Undergarment
  • Spare set of neck and wrist seals
Now the wait begins and the time to recuperate from the purchase.

Welcome to the club :cool:

@Sebs do you have small hands? 80mm rings are tiny. I have med/average and needed the 90mm. If you can get to a shop that has a template go try the rings there (remember, you'll have glove liners on). I printed out the template and traced that onto cardboard. Cut the hole in the cardboard and give it a try.

@Sebs do you have small hands? 80mm rings are tiny. I have med/average and needed the 90mm. If you can get to a shop that has a template go try the rings there (remember, you'll have glove liners on). I printed out the template and traced that onto cardboard. Cut the hole in the cardboard and give it a try.

I am 6' 1" tall. In motorcycle gloves, I wear size L or XL gloves, depending on the brand. Usually, Large, though. In the Ansell rubber gloves that I use with my Kubi rings, I wear their size Large.

I have been using the 80mm Kubi rings for years now. With my glove liners on, I can just barely get my hand through them. I.e. for ME, 80mm is pretty much the perfect size.

I am 6' 1" tall. In motorcycle gloves, I wear size L or XL gloves, depending on the brand. Usually, Large, though. In the Ansell rubber gloves that I use with my Kubi rings, I wear their size Large.

I have been using the 80mm Kubi rings for years now. With my glove liners on, I can just barely get my hand through them. I.e. for ME, 80mm is pretty much the perfect size.
I wear med riding gloves, large for some styles, and couldn't get my hands through the 80s without serious rubbing. You must have a more nimble hand

I wear med riding gloves, large for some styles, and couldn't get my hands through the 80s without serious rubbing. You must have a more nimble hand

There's plenty of rubbing. Occasionally, especially after a dive, with my heavier glove liners on, I've paused for a minute and wondered if I was going to be able to get them off. But, I've always managed so far. If they were any smaller, I could not use them. But, I want as small as possible without being TOO small and the 80s are it (for me).

Worst case, if I really couldn't get them off, I'm pretty sure I could use the fingers on my other hand to push the glove liner down past the fat part of the hand that is stuck in the ring and then squirt some suit lube (i.e. diluted baby shampoo) onto my hand and they would slide right out.

Well, I guess WORST case, I could cut the rubber glove off (they're only about $4/pair), remove the glove liner, and then use lube to slide the ring off.

But, haven't had to do any of that yet...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom