Seasick on first liveaboard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ofra

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I get motionsick very easily. I've been told that a liveaboard will be better for me than dayboats, because after a day I'll get my "sea legs," whatever that means, and I will miraculously feel fine the remainder of the trip. Is this true? Am I being an idiot for agreeing to a 7-10 day liveaboard this July/August in Komodo or Palau? Are there any considerations I should take into account when deciding which boat to book? (wood/metal; catamaran/real boat; sail/motor; location of outdoor spaces (i'll probably sleep outside))

I'm hoping to hear from people who get seasick really easily. A little more about me: I get motion sick very easily and quickly; just looking at my scuba gear for more than a few minutes straight can ruin the day -- and that's on meds (meclazine). I never throw up; I just remain nauseous the rest of the time on the water. I've learned the best things to do to make me feel a little better is to have the wind in my face (unfortunately on day boats that usually comes with fumes, which are the worst for seasicknes), look backwards, preferably at land, or close my eyes. I end up being a miserable dive companion. I'm hoping a liveaboard will change that. Is my hope misplaced?

A liveaboard is much bigger and more stable than your typical dayboat, and in calm seas, you won't feel much notion. I have been on 5 liveaboard trips, and I have never seen anyone seasick.

On the other hand....

On my last liveaboard, our opening briefing spent so much time talking about seasickness and how to prevent it using their various pharmaceutical supplies that I figured it must reach epidemic proportions for them whenever they go out. If anyone took any of those medications during the trip, I don't know about it, and I saw no evidence that anyone got sick. However, their over-the-top briefing leads me to believe it must happen.

Also on the other hand...

My brother was in the Coast Guard, and he told me some stories that will tell you that conditions can arise that will make anyone seasick on any boat.

If you are as prone to seasickness as you suggest, I think you should take along your favorite medication and be prepared to use it, but at the same time understand that the need will indeed be less than the need on a day boat.

Let me add that a lot depends upon the boat design. I was on a very old liveaboard in the Galapago with an old fashioned single hull, and it was very tippy. Some other boats are double hulled, and they are much more stable.

Hi!

So many variables here but I always try to stay ahead of it and take Dramamine before I need it. I try to hold out until end of day after diving before we start moving on the LOB because I want to minimize medications with diving. I try not to set my gear up when things are really moving.

When you book a LOB ask for a room that is towards the center of the boat and lower. Anything towards front, back, top will be more susceptible to you feeling the movement.

We went to Komodo in Sept and the water was so calm - like a lake. It was almost impossible to get sick.

I do not want to burst your bubble, but after a lot of cruising on large ships that are less likely to make you seasick, I have known many people that did not get their sea legs after a day or two at sea, even with using meds. I have seen people stay sea sick for an entire 7 day cruise, especially if the sea state is other than calm. I am not overly prone to motion sickness now, but I did have an issue many years ago on a four day operational military evaluation on a British guided missile cruiser. Like you, I only felt better when standing in the front of the ship with the wind blowing in my face, but the motion sickness returned as soon as I had to go back inside, especially when the ship was doing a slow "dutch roll" when idling at night. I did not start to feel good until the helicopter took me off that ship at the conclusion of the exercise. However, I know that most people do start to adjust to the motion after a couple of days, and I believe the more you think about being sick, the more likely it will happen. I have also found that any sort of head or sinus congestion would aggravate motion sickness issues, so try to stay ahead of that. I wish you the best of luck.

Thank you, Boulderjohn. That was very helpful. It seems to confirm what I've been told -- that a liveaboard might be better than hours a day on a dayboat.

Question: Does "double hull" mean catamaran?

I plan to begin drugs two days before boat departure, and remain on drugs the entire time, no matter what, but hopefully I'll feel OK after the first day. And I know that if the seas are bad enough to make everyone else sick, of course I'm going to feel sick too. I'm willing to feel sick for a day or two for a week of feeling OK and getting access to better dive sites.

Thank you, outofofficebrb and Altamira. You've given me some good suggestions, and some things to think about.

Altamira, I think we have the same type of seasickness. The idling (during safety stops & dive briefings) are often worse than when the boat is moving (I actually love speedboats). What changed for you? Was it just mindset? I asked my mom (who used to get worse seasickness than me, but now regularly goes on ships/boats of all sizes without any issue unless the seas are bad the first night) the same question, and she has no answer as to why she doesn't get seasick anymore.

I have seen seasick divers on a live aboard who never made a dive.

My diving wife gets seasick very easily and after many years we just decided that shore diving works best when we dive together and is the most enjoyable experience for her. Also, single tank boat dives in good conditions with trips 20 mins or less work well. If you are as prone to motion sickness as you describe, why tackle a week long liveaboard? Why not find a nice place with great shore diving instead? Bon and Cur come to mind.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom