Liveaboard just in full Raja Ampat vs Maumere - Alor - Banda Sea - Raja Ampat (via Dampier) in Oct -Nov?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Harshit Bajpai

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,
This will be my first time going for a proper liveaboard. Before this, I have only taken a 3 day liveaboard in Thailand. I have about 70 dives.

I have two options -
1. Biodiversity Super Diving Cruise-Maumere-Alor-Banda Sea-Raja Ampat - Mermaid Liveaboards (15N 26Oct - 10Nov)
2. https://www.lagaligoliveaboard.com/...-Liveaboard-Ultimate-Raja-Ampat-Itinerary.pdf (11N 15Oct - 26 Oct)

Both are within my budget, reviews are more or less positive for both boats. I am a little more inclined towards Mermaid-1 (probably because it's longer). I am just interested in getting the opinion on which route will be better considering the dates above. I have seen some reviews on Banda sea/Alor not being that great in Oct/Nov and less chance of seeing the hammer heads in that time. I am really looking to choose the route which would be better condition wise.

My vote would be the Mermaid trip!! Banda and Alor have always been great for me that time of year! FYI I go almost every year! My best trip was in Oct.
Should I still expect hammer head sharks to be there in late October/Early few days of Nov?

Hi,
This will be my first time going for a proper liveaboard. Before this, I have only taken a 3 day liveaboard in Thailand. I have about 70 dives.

I have two options -
1. Biodiversity Super Diving Cruise-Maumere-Alor-Banda Sea-Raja Ampat - Mermaid Liveaboards (15N 26Oct - 10Nov)
2. https://www.lagaligoliveaboard.com/...-Liveaboard-Ultimate-Raja-Ampat-Itinerary.pdf (11N 15Oct - 26 Oct)

Both are within my budget, reviews are more or less positive for both boats. I am a little more inclined towards Mermaid-1 (probably because it's longer). I am just interested in getting the opinion on which route will be better considering the dates above. I have seen some reviews on Banda sea/Alor not being that great in Oct/Nov and less chance of seeing the hammer heads in that time. I am really looking to choose the route which would be better condition wise.
I have booked the Mermaid 15N trip. I haven't done this much diving ever in a row. Max was 4 days. But let's see if I can take it. Would post a trip report post (if I come out of it alive).

I have booked the Mermaid 15N trip. I haven't done this much diving ever in a row. Max was 4 days. But let's see if I can take it. Would post a trip report post (if I come out of it alive).

Make sure you have enough insulation. I’d bring 5mm full wetsuit and 1mm hood.

Bring neoprene socks to keep from getting foot blisters.

Also bring 3 sets of swim trunks & rash guards, rotate & hang them to dry between dives, so you would always have dry “underwears” as after 10-15 dives in Banda Sea, you will get cold donning wet wetsuit & diving 3-4 times / day.

Take good care of your ears. Equalize them often, every meter of descent, especially in the first 10 meters. Spray EarShield Amazon.com before each dive. Your ears will thank you.

Have a blast in Banda Sea & Raja Ampat!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom