Banda Sea + Misool vs Misool + Dampier Strait Nov 2023?&

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all! I’m hesitating between two liveaboard trips and I’d need your help to pick one 🙏😬

1) Banda Sea + Misool leaving on 30 Oct (12D/11N)
2) Misool + Dampier Strait leaving on 10 Nov (10D/9N)
Both boats look great, the second one being slightly more expensive. Also seems a tad less convivial. But I’m going there for the diving after all.

So, itinerary wise, which one would you pick? I read that November may not be the ideal time to go to Banda and some of the members of this community seem to think that the diving there is very good but not spectacular. Has anyone been there in the same period and could give me an advice?

If helpful, I have an Advanced certificate and have 40+ logged dives but I haven’t dived in a while 😅

Thank you so much!! 🫶

="_wildpopocorn, post: 10054658, member:] some of the members of this community seem to think that the diving there is very good but not spectacular. . and could give me an advice?

If helpful, I have an Advanced certificate and have 40+ logged dives but I haven’t dived in a while 😅

Between today and your departure, dive as much as possible, even if it’s in a pool. If you do not, it will be absolutely irrelevant as to whether the diving is “good vs spectacular”. You will not notice.

Between today and your departure, dive as much as possible, even if it’s in a pool. If you do not, it will be absolutely irrelevant as to whether the diving is “good vs spectacular”. You will not notice.
Hello, thanks for your message. You mean because of the currents? I will need a refresher for sure.

Hello, thanks for your message. You mean because of the currents? I will need a refresher for sure.
He means that you don't have enough diving experience to appreciate the diving.

It will be a waste.

You need to rack up as many dives as possible before you go on either of those trips.

Also, I'm kind of curious as to how you can tell that one boat will be more convivial than the other.

Reactions: Doc
Currents for sure. Diving from a smaller dive boat, exits and entries, recoveries, ladders, getting out of the way, negatively buoyant entries… all the stuff you’ve forgotten or were never exposed to in your 40 dive AOW starting point.

The actual vessel does make a difference. Or, better said, their physical infrastructure for diving. Is it done off your home-base boat, or more likely off a smaller vessel? These auxiliary vessels are known to be switched off regularly as most are outside contractors. If you’ve not done such boats before, you’re about to hit a very steep learning curve.

Steep, but maybe doable….When you do arrive, say this to the person running the diving: “i have a c-card, but no real experience. I am willing and able to learn…” It states what you are and that you’re a likely success. It’s obvious that you are a good student by your 40 dive AOW Card. You might not have any honed skills, but you’re demonstrably eager!

They will figure this out by: A) glancing at your log book, B) watching your behaviors rigging your gear. After 5 seconds in the water, they’ll see what their week’s task is- but nobody likes surprises.

It is better to be forthcoming immediately.

Thank you all for your replies! Sorry, I’m still having trouble understanding why I wouldn’t appreciate the diving 🙈 Anyways I’m not suicidal and I promise I will tell whoever in charge what my level of experience is 😊 I only have 45 logged dives but they were in Komodo, Sipadan, Similian where I had the chance to dive from liveaboards, smaller boats, do negatively buoyant entries and drift dives. The boats I’m looking at look very professional/mindful of safety and only require the Open Water so I’m inclined to think that they care for the survival of the weak and hopefully won’t put us in situations we can’t manage 😊 On conviviality, my impression was purely based on reviews and on the configuration of the boat.

Thank you all for your replies! Sorry, I’m still having trouble understanding why I wouldn’t appreciate the diving 🙈 Anyways I’m not suicidal and I promise I will tell whoever in charge what my level of experience is 😊 I only have 45 logged dives but they were in Komodo, Sipadan, Similian where I had the chance to dive from liveaboards, smaller boats, do negatively buoyant entries and drift dives. The boats I’m looking at look very professional/mindful of safety and only require the Open Water so I’m inclined to think that they care for the survival of the weak and hopefully won’t put us in situations we can’t manage 😊 On conviviality, my impression was purely based on reviews and on the configuration of the boat.
I shouldn't have assumed that your experience was in lesser locales.

Do you mind sharing which boat you are considering for the November itinerary?

Reactions: Doc
I shouldn't have assumed that your experience was in lesser locales.

Do you mind sharing which boat you are considering for the November itinerary?
No worries, I was lucky to be able to start with a bang 🤩 I’m considering Jakare and Coralia, do you know them?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom