Seal replacement, SiTech Necktite Quickneck or orust??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Heruhur

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My latex seal is going strong for about 3 years now, but it's showing signs of degradation.
So I'm looking around for a replacement and want an exchangeable system.
I'm familiar with the necktite system, my wife has it on her drysuit,
but now I saw SiTech has newer systems, the Quickneck and ORUST system.

The flexibility of the orust appeals to me,
but I'm left with some questions I haven't been able to answer with google.
So who has some experience with the newer seal systems?
How is the felxibility and are those clips of the orust durable?
Do these systems use the same seal (are the interchangeable)?

I had the same question and ended up asking the people at DRIS for their opinion. They pushed me towards the Quickneck on the strength that the clips were a seal protection factor that I don't need, and did I want to be trying to change those 12 clips on a boat?

I went with the Quickneck and even installed it myself. Changing the seal is easy and if I didn't have the tool handy I'll bet I could use pretty much anything. I'm not an experienced dry suit diver but I don't notice that the ring is there when diving, even compared to when I had a glued in latex seal with no ring.

DRIS sells the same seal for both units so I'd imagine they're the same.

I've had the necktite on the last drysuit. Found it a bit rigid sitting on the shoulders but generally OK.
Current suit has the quickneck. It doesn't feel that different until you put the suit on. The pressure points on the shoulders are much better, I will even say they are gone.
Saw the Orust at DEMA. So flexible that there are clips to keep it from just falling apart. The demo they just popped about 3 clips to take a little bit apart and put back together (made for a quicker demo). I'm pretty sure you could loose a clip or two and it would be fine. I want to say they were backup clips(?)

Yes, they all run the same seals. I still have some from my first suit that work on the new suit.

I would get the new just to see how it works but the old systems are perfectly reliable and easy to use. I can feel the ring in my back zip neoprene suit but never noticed it with the trilam front zip, I wouldn’t worry about the clips, I have only had one in field neck seal failure once I went with silicone seals.

The Quickneck is good and reliable. I don't see any reason to consider the necktite any more.
I don't have experience with Orust.

I cornered the sitech CEO a few DEMAs ago about problems with the necktie. There are several versions of the necktite sold under the same name and stock number. Some versions will allow the seal and yellow ring to pop out on its own under normal circumstances. This started happening when they got complaints about the stiffness of the rings and they changed the cross-sectional profile to a more flexible design.

With the increased flexibility, the only way they can keep the seal and yellow ring in reliably is with the clips. This is the same with the slaggo wrist system.

The clip lost issue could be easily solved, if they simply included a few extra with either the slaggo or the orist systems. In the shop, I have had a few slaggo clipsfly away a couple of feet while changing seals.

One thing not mentioned is that the slaggosystem at least, may damage the silicone seals. I have several sets where a puncture hole formed on the seal and later tore. This is not normally a problem if you do not remove the seal. It if you remove it for replacement later on, it may be damaged.

Thanks for all of your point of views, the suit is at the shop right now and the Quick neck system is being fitted.
I'll post my experience's with it after the first dive. :snorkel:

My new Fusion has the Neck Tite. Previous USIA suit had the Quick Neck. Neck Tite was much more comfortable. I'm considering having the Neck Time switched out for the Quick Neck.

Back
Top Bottom