Seacure mouthpiece and donating your primary

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have TMJ issues and after awhile my jaw fatigues. Many times, due to the way my teeth come together, the mouthpiece can partially slip out of my mouth enough to get me a hit of water. I dive a longhose with a necklace backup and I have put the Seacure on the backup reg. So during the dive, if I get fatigued, I switch to my backup. Depending on the dive, I usually switch long enough to get my comfort level back and then go back to my primary. I know the Seacure isn't DIR, but at least my current setup accomodates both of our needs and doesn't compromise either diver.

Happy diving!
Carolyn:sharks:

I have TMJ issues and after awhile my jaw fatigues. Many times, due to the way my teeth come together, the mouthpiece can partially slip out of my mouth enough to get me a hit of water. I dive a longhose with a necklace backup and I have put the Seacure on the backup reg. So during the dive, if I get fatigued, I switch to my backup. Depending on the dive, I usually switch long enough to get my comfort level back and then go back to my primary. I know the Seacure isn't DIR, but at least my current setup accomodates both of our needs and doesn't compromise either diver.

Happy diving!

Sorry to nit pic, but the best practice with a long hose and bunged backup is, when donating gas, to donate the reg that's in your mouth. Unless I'm doing a reg exchange drill, I find the safest way to dive is to never have a reg in my mouth that I can't donate. People have a tendency to go for the reg in your mouth if they run OOG, especially if they know you dive a LH setup. I'd hate to see the mess that could ensue if someone went for my short hose bunged backup. (Again, not telling anyone how to dive. Just telling how me and my buddies do it)

Like I said, I only use it for a short period of time, but my long hose is still readily deployable. Before I added the Seacure, I tend to switch regs throughout the dive just to be sure it is working properly. But I have also practiced deploying the long hose if it is not in my mouth regularly too. I do not secure it to my harness like I do when I surface. If you need it, you will have it within seconds.

So during the dive, if I get fatigued, I switch to my backup. Depending on the dive, I usually switch long enough to get my comfort level back and then go back to my primary.

You might consider going back to a primary + octopus if this is a real problem for you. During the time that you are on your backup reg you are not in a position to properly assist an OOA buddy. Either you have your primary clipped off in which case you need to unclip it before you can donate, or you have it loose in which case it could end up anywhere.

As mentioned, DIR discourages SeaCure mouthpieces because they are not good pieces of team equipment. The biggest issue is that the flanges are quite long, and can induce a gag reflex. It is possible to trim them shorter, however. The custom nature of the mouthpiece would still not be DIR, but the biggest problem would be averted.

An OOA diver, if not extensively trained, is probably very close to the edge of panic. Putting something in his mouth and gagging might be the last straw to make him reject the reg and bolt. The gag reflex is a difficult one to override, and I'm quite sure it's not something someone who is frightened would be able to accomplish.
While I am not DIR, I have found an answer in the DIR forum that answers the question ... the wings on a SeaCure are not flexible enough to spread out when the reg is pushed up to an unresponsive divers mouth and provide a good seal when used in an emergency

I have a SeaCure and it's wonderful not to have to bite to "hold" the reg in my mouth .. for me, I did trim about .5 inch off the flanges .. I trained with it, donate my primary, and buddy did not have any issues with them being too long or that mouthpiece didnt fit his mouth well enough to work

Again, I'm not DIR and I may have to rethink/change it sometime in the future

Quote: "Squeeze the “Manta wings” together and insert mouthpiece into your mouth. Let wings open up against the inside of your cheeks."

Just perfect for those OOA situations! I can't see this one finding its way into the DIR equipment list either.
Is this a DIR discussion? Does not seem to be in the DIR forum. :dunce:

No, it's designed to stay the hell in my mouth and I remind my buddies that they are welcome to grab my alternate at any time without asking, I'll understand, regardless of what they may have heard elsewhere about which second stage one was supposed to donate.

I use SeaCure on everything!

If a buddy is planning to use my reg for OOA, then I don't want to dive with this buddy anyway.

If it is between sucking on a SeaCure or sucking sea water, which one would you choose? I am guessing that any OOA diver will accept a SeaCure!

Back
Top Bottom