Seacraft vs suex DPV

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you ask the new owners of ss, they say their scooters never failšŸ¤£
I donā€™t know anything about SS since the tragedy. :(

Tomorrow marks 5 years for me. :( :( :(

Torque reduction systems exists. Namely stators.
Huh? Stator design can potentially help to reduce cogging torque and make it a bit smoother while the motor starts up, but that only matters for a fraction of second. At cruise speed the angular velocity is high enough on any scooter motor that cogging torque becomes insignificant. The continuous torque while cruising is a function of the prop radius and force put into it by the motor. You can't reduce that torque without also reducing thrust. Ļ„ = r Ɨ F

Bottom line: PTBs are too unreliable
Not if you are scooting in the open or anywhere swiming back is not too unreasonable. As you say:

The BlackTip is King for people spending less than $7K.
Mostly because there isn't anything between the $2k of a BlackTip and the $8k+ of the non-PTB scooters (that are worth it).

But, I counsel anyone who buys a BlackTip to buy a custom battery pack from someplace like @Jona Silverstein at Explorer Technology. Unless your real intent is to fly with it. Then you have no real option except PTBs (or a Genesis...).

For a BT Tech, it's a 20Ah/36V pack, so 720 W-Hr, versus the 432 W-Hr you get with a pair of 12Ah PTBs. You pay more and you get more. And what you get that isn't directly measurable is vastly improved reliability.

The pack is "propietary", but it's not stupid expensive, on a per W-Hr basis, like (for example) Seacraft and Suex battery packs are.
Sounds great, but overkill for a lot of scooting that doesn't need the high end capability and reliability of a Genesis. I'll probably get one as an intermediate step as I start doing more serious scooting, before I graduate to a big boy scooter.

I think we are DEFINITELY tired of batteries that are stupidly expensive to replace.
That's my real point! The BlackTip and the Genesis have now proved that at both ends of the price spectrum.

Where I live there is $2995 (As of todayā€™s exchange rate) difference between Seacraft Future 1000 vs Suex XJS, which makes Suex no brainer choice.

If I was living anywhere near North America, I would buy a Genesis in a heartbeat.

Five years ago, already, it is a distant memory for me, as if time has stood still
I hope you have been able to slow blaming yourself with your days less taxing

My love to all

Tomorrow marks 5 years for me. :( :( :(

I can't understand the point of a scooter, if I want to move fast I do a drift dive, otherwise I want to go slow so I can see things. Some dive sites are meant to go slow, but others are meant to go fast like canyons or kilima drift. No scooter can compare to the speed of kilima drift.

I can't understand the point of a scooter, if I want to move fast I do a drift dive, otherwise I want to go slow so I can see things. Some dive sites are meant to go slow, but others are meant to go fast like canyons or kilima drift. No scooter can compare to the speed of kilima drift.
Scooter is a ā€œneedā€ rather then ā€œwantā€ to being able to move when you start doing certain types of dives with lots heavy stuff attached to your body where there is heavy flow or current.

In a OC you may get into trouble by depleting your reserves where in CCR you can easily get hypercapnia by exerting so much effort. šŸ˜‰

So why are you on a DPV forum?

One of my favorite kind of dives: round-trip explorations from shore which leave from a beach, and return to a beach, traveling a total distance of several miles in between, in places where the current is negligible. Once you find that beautiful spot a mile offshore (that the dive boats don't go to, thank goodness), then of course it's totally normal to stop, see things slowly and take pictures. In fact we often do several stops at several different sites, all within the same dive.

Where I live there is $2995 (As of todayā€™s exchange rate) difference between Seacraft Future 1000 vs Suex XJS, which makes Suex no brainer choice.

If I was living anywhere near North America, I would buy a Genesis in a heartbeat.

Future range: 9.8 miles
XJ-S range: 5.3 miles
BlackTip Tech range (with custom battery pack): 5.8 miles

If you don't need a Future, then why do you need a XJ-S instead of a BlackTip?

I'm not saying you don't. The XJ-S clearly has some specs that are superior to the BlackTip. Do you actually need the additional thrust of an XJ-S? Do you need the 200m depth versus 120m? Just curious.

Reactions: L13

Back
Top Bottom