SeaBase in Utah, worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

formula1mb@aol.com

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Next week I'm going to be traveling in the Salt Lake City area for work and remembered reading about SeaBase before, where they have tropical fish like puffers, pompanos, big nurse sharks, angel fish, etc. Sounds like a cool experience, diving in the middle of the mountains with all these warmwater saltwater fish but wanted to get some feedback:

http://www.seabase.net/thefish.html

1) Is it worth making a side trip there or not that great of a dive? I've heard mixed reviews, kind of small, visibility isn't great, etc. However with the warm water of 75-85 per the website, wouldn't have to bring much, regulator, small bc, and a 3 mm wetsuit. So now I'm trying to decide whether to pack my things or too much trouble for a single dive or two.

2) If it is worthwhile, any local divers willing to buddy up? Since I'm just there for work, I'm the only diver and don't know any divers there. Let me know if anyone would be up for a dive------if I do go, it will be next Saturday, Oct 23rd in the morning.

Thanks for any feedback and info,
Robert

I wouldn't pack all my gear for one or two dives there especially on a Saturday. Saturday is typically a heavy training day. Thursday AM is your best chance at any vis.
You could bring your MFS and take the drive out on Saturday and just have a look. If it looks appealing, rent the rest of the gear and do a dive.

I'm not available on Saturday, I'll be driving past it on my way to another location.

Where are you diving? I have no idea what's in the area there.
A place called Blue Lake on the Utah/Nevada border. It's about 2 1/2 hours from SLC.
Water should be around 76-80 this time of year and depending on the crowds vis can be 3-30'. Of course that day is an LDS's Pumpkin Carving Contest and a SB member (Odys) is hosting a cleanup event also. I think Odys is going to clean up the pumpkin seeds. :wink:
Come join!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom