Sea Safe and Thimble Jellies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brules:
Haha my bad, I went to their web page and found the answer. :)

I wonder if it is good AFTER the fact? Anyone?
Doubt it - then it's time for very warm water soaks or compresses, antihistamines, hydro-cortisone, etc. :11:

DandyDon:
New protocol: Everyone get naked in the water before boarding...

I'd love to see someone explain that to the marine patrol.:14:

Thinking back on past dive groups....the negatives may outweight the positives...

I just returned from a week in the Mayan Riviera. I dove almost every day, used SeaSafe each day, and still got at least one small welt each day on my hand, neck, ear, or ankle. I don't know if some people are magnets for thimbles, but no one else complained of this but me!

yak:
I just returned from a week in the Mayan Riviera. I dove almost every day, used SeaSafe each day, and still got at least one small welt each day on my hand, neck, ear, or ankle. I don't know if some people are magnets for thimbles, but no one else complained of this but me!

I think you're right. Sort of like some people will get chewed up by mosquitos or sand flees and others get not even a bite. I'm a magnet. If there's something around that can sting or bite, it will find me. Anywhere in the Western Caribbean that I've been in Jan-Mar (supposedly pre-thimble season), I get a lovely rash of small welts on my face and hands. In the water I feel it like little pin pricks. My dive buddies think I'm nuts because nobody else gets it. Some sort of stinging microscopic plankton? Who knows. It's happened in Cayman, Cozumel, Akumal 4 years in a row.

I'm also allergic to many ingredients in lotions and sunscreens and can't use Sea Safe either. I tried it on my arm before a trip and got a bumpy red rash. Might as well take my changes with the stings.

scubawife:
I'm also allergic to many ingredients in lotions and sunscreens and can't use Sea Safe either. I tried it on my arm before a trip and got a bumpy red rash. Might as well take my changes with the stings.

Just FYI, we do carry a version of Safe Sea that is specifically designed for kids and sensitive skin. It has an SPF of 30. It's the one with the orange cap.

yak:
Sounds like you had a rough time! You mentioned you were stung multiple times every day. I assume you applied the lotion to those spots and waited 10 minutes before entering the water. One thing to keep in mind (especially for active divers or swimmers) is that, while designed to be used in the water, the lotion can rub off in certain spots while swimming. If you're going to be diving all day, it's a good idea to re-apply the lotion on those spots about every 2 hours. If it was the same areas each day that got stung, those may be the most active areas...or areas touching sand, objects, etc.

Also, perspiration can cause the lotion to wear off. If you're applying it in the boat under full view of the sun (and sweating) you may be limiting the lotion's strength right from the start. I recommend applying the lotion to your dry skin in the shade and waiting 10 minutes before entering the water. Based on all of the feedback we've gotten, this is the most effective application.

I hope this is helpful.

Thanks,
Jason

Great tips Jason. Thanks. I will use next month in Coz.

safeseajason:
Just FYI, we do carry a version of Safe Sea that is specifically designed for kids and sensitive skin. It has an SPF of 30. It's the one with the orange cap.

yak:
Sounds like you had a rough time! You mentioned you were stung multiple times every day. I assume you applied the lotion to those spots and waited 10 minutes before entering the water. One thing to keep in mind (especially for active divers or swimmers) is that, while designed to be used in the water, the lotion can rub off in certain spots while swimming. If you're going to be diving all day, it's a good idea to re-apply the lotion on those spots about every 2 hours. If it was the same areas each day that got stung, those may be the most active areas...or areas touching sand, objects, etc.

Also, perspiration can cause the lotion to wear off. If you're applying it in the boat under full view of the sun (and sweating) you may be limiting the lotion's strength right from the start. I recommend applying the lotion to your dry skin in the shade and waiting 10 minutes before entering the water. Based on all of the feedback we've gotten, this is the most effective application.

I hope this is helpful.

Thanks,
Jason

Hi Jason,

I used the regular SPF30 version. I applied it thoroughly in a shady are where we geared up prior to our briefings, so it was more like 20-30 minutes before getting on the boat. I probably didn't describe it accurately - I actually got probably only a single welt each day, and always in a different place.

FWIW, I never saw a single thimble on any of the dives, but obviously they're out there. I'll see how it works in Coz next week!

Back
Top Bottom