Scubapro S600 free flow

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mick allein III

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have 5 SP regulators and generally love them. But I have 1 recurring issue. On 3 separate occasions my s600 2nd stage. Has begun delivering air without my demanding it. Something of a gentle free flow. This generally occurs in low temps or deeper. When I crank the adjustment knob down it slows but doesn't stop. Eventually i have to switch to my other reg and close the valve to make it stop.. I can then reopen tank and the reg works fine. Why?

Any thoughts suggestions welcome

Micky

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have 5 SP regulators and generally love them. But I have 1 recurring issue. On 3 separate occasions my s600 2nd stage. Has begun delivering air without my demanding it. Something of a gentle free flow. This generally occurs in low temps or deeper. When I crank the adjustment knob down it slows but doesn't stop. Eventually i have to switch to my other reg and close the valve to make it stop.. I can then reopen tank and the reg works fine. Why?

Any thoughts suggestions welcome

Micky

I would put the balance chamber mechanism high on the suspect list. You might try removing the cover and see if you can get an idea of whether the gas is leaking by the seat or coming from the balance chamber. Unless there is some indication it is coming by the LP seat, I would clean and inspect o-rings and seating surfaces in the balance chamber.

That would fit the symptom of changing when the tank is turned off and back on and of being a slight leak that does not respond to the user adjustment.

I'll try that. Thanks awap.

Mick

seconded, sounds like the second stage is due for service, could very well just be a dirty or bad LP seat, not the end of the world. When was the last service?

If I remember correctly, the s600 has a finicky balance chamber system much like the G250HP did. It might behoove you to download the schematics, the troubleshooting guide, and repair guide from Frogkick.
http://www.frogkick.dk/manuals/scubapro/Manuals/2. Stage/

Good luck and keep us posted on your findings.

Couv

I serviced it myself about a week ago. Here's the history. I have 3 SP regulators two s600 and a s555. On three separate occasions these regulators have done the same thing. I have not serviced the s 555.; so that's why I'm thinking it may not all just be me. Here's typically the scenario. It's cold, low 40s; deep 70 feet or so and on 2 occasions it occurs with the reg on the pony bottle the first few breaths I take on it. It's like a Venturi assist that won't stop. Not a complete free flow just delivering lots of air. I have ove this s600. 2x once shallow 20 ft 15 minutes with no problem. When this happened Sunday at 70 ft I came back up to 50 then returned to 70 and breathed it hard a few times, and it remained stable. No problem for the last 15 minutes of the dive 30-50 feet low 40s temps.

I read some other threads of people who had similar problems. Is it possible that the regulator hasn't cycled enough and grooved the seat a bit? Thanks for your interest and help.

Mick

What is it cracking at?

RHW is on to something. First things first. Make sure you have a steady IP or you are likely to be chasing your tail. If that is correct, then yes, it is possible that the second stage needs to be cycled a number (20-30) of times.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom