Scubapro Regs... What's the difference? Which one to get?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DA,

How about posting the flow rates and such in your contributions on the sticky in this category?

babar:
Now where does the Mk 20 fit in? How is it different from the 25?
The Mk 25 is just a further evolutionary development of the Mk 20. As indicated above the Mk 25 has an external IP adjustment, some cosmetic changes, and an AF (anti-freeze) kit. MK 25's made after about March-April 2003 would have had the latest AF kit installed and those made after about June 2003 would have the finned swivel cap.

A Mk 20 can be upgraded to a Mk 25 with the addition of the updated seat retainer and depending on the Mk 20 may also benefit from a new piston as three different types were used on the Mk 20. The Mk 25 finned swivel cap can also be added. Dealer cost on the parts to make the full upgrade would be about $20 each for the piston and swivel cap and about the same for the new seat retainer and associated parts.

The piston is a worthwhile upgrade if a Mk 20 has the mid production brass tipped rounded seating edge piston, but the adjustabel seat retainer is a benefit mainly for the tech and the swivel cap does not make that much difference - in my opinion at least.

Most of the AF kit is incluided in the Mk 20/25 annual service kit so it is replaced automatically when the reg is serviced. The newer TIS piston bushing is included with the new MK 25 composite piston, so $20 in parts in addition to an annual service will get you a new piston and all the important MK 25 improvements for a Mk 20.

Thanks for the great explanation. Can anyone out there give a similar one for mares regulators?

DA Aquamaster:
Most of the AF kit is incluided in the Mk 20/25 annual service kit so it is replaced automatically when the reg is serviced. The newer TIS piston bushing is included with the new MK 25 composite piston, so $20 in parts in addition to an annual service will get you a new piston and all the important MK 25 improvements for a Mk 20.

It just so happens that I aquired a Mk20/D400 for what I beleive to be a very good price. I love my MK25/S600, and I believe this will be a good backup, who knows it might even wind as as my primary. Can any SP dealer change out the piston, is that a more specialized service?

Thanks
Babar

Okay... slightly off topic. I just purchased a new MK25 AF/S600, and was pretty disapointed. When I turn to the left, say, to look at a wall or find my dive buddy, the regulator breaths hard and gurgles. The dive shop claims this is normal for all regulators, but I have never experienced such problems with other rigs, especially in such a normal dive position. Any comments or suggestions?

babar:
It just so happens that I aquired a Mk20/D400 for what I believe to be a very good price. I love my MK25/S600, and I believe this will be a good backup, who knows it might even wind as as my primary. Can any SP dealer change out the piston, is that a more specialized service?
Any SP tech can change the piston as the piston is removed for annual service anyway. Dealer cost on the part (part number 10-600-155) is $20 and there is no extra labor involved if it is done as part of the annual service.

jhaxton:
Okay... slightly off topic. I just purchased a new MK25 AF/S600, and was pretty disapointed. When I turn to the left, say, to look at a wall or find my dive buddy, the regulator breaths hard and gurgles. The dive shop claims this is normal for all regulators, but I have never experienced such problems with other rigs, especially in such a normal dive position. Any comments or suggestions?
Moderator, would you prefer I start a new thread for this question? Thanks, Jason

jhaxton:
I'd say the regulator has a pretty serious problem and needs to be looked at by a tech. Looking to the left all by its self should not cause it to breathe hard or gurgle. I would suspect there is something wrong with the exhaust valve or diaphragm.

DA Aquamaster:
I'd say the regulator has a pretty serious problem and needs to be looked at by a tech. Looking to the left all by its self should not cause it to breathe hard or gurgle. I would suspect there is something wrong with the exhaust valve or diaphragm.
Much appreciated. Thanks for the validation :)

Back
Top Bottom