Scubapro MK17 G260 Regulator good for beginner ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, if it's sealed and you can get it serviced locally buy the one you like the look/price of. From a human perspective all will perform the same/similarly.

I would recommend Apeks XTX-50, XTX-50 or ATX-40 second with a DST or DS4 first. Their is nothing wrong performance-wise with the XTX-100 and 200 but I would not recommend them. First, they are more expensive. Second, they don't breath much different if at all from the 50. Third, if you decide you want to go into doubles their hose routing is not very good. If for some reason your heart is set on a 100 or 200, go with the 200 as the orifice is replaceable on the first stage.

---------- Post added February 12th, 2014 at 09:27 PM ----------

None at all. It is a marketing play to differentiate regulators. It reminds me of Sears where they used to rate products good, better, best.

Yeah I see what you mean about the "begineer" thing. But I suppose some things are more advanced than others depending on your needs. I still agree if you though !

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

You have a top notch reg manufacturer in UK.
As suggested, XTX200 or 50 and it all depends how deep is your pocket and how long is your arm!!

If you are looking for an used 1st stage then FSR(ATX or XTX 200) would be my FIRST choice because of the replaceable valve seat.

Yeah I see what you mean about the "begineer" thing. But I suppose some things are more advanced than others depending on your needs. I still agree if you though !

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

The purpose of a regulator is to deliver air to the diver at the ambient water pressure. This does not change based on the diver's experience level. Whether you are at 20 feet or 200, you want a regulator that breathes effortlessly. The dive industry is a business like any other, shops and manufacturers thrive on equipment sales. The would like you to start out recreational "beginners" gear so they can sell you new gear when you want to do "advanced" diving. You may want to talk to some people in the UK to see what they recommend for the local conditions.

The purpose of a regulator is to deliver air to the diver at the ambient water pressure. This does not change based on the diver's experience level. Whether you are at 20 feet or 200, you want a regulator that breathes effortlessly. The dive industry is a business like any other, shops and manufacturers thrive on equipment sales. The would like you to start out recreational "beginners" gear so they can sell you new gear when you want to do "advanced" diving. You may want to talk to some people in the UK to see what they recommend for the local conditions.

That would probably be the DS4/ATX40, very popular with the UK boys.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom