Scubapro Jets or Aqualung rocket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I watched a class at the Naval Diving and Salvage Training Center, I saw all the students were wearing Rockets, none of the instructors were. The instructors were like us, everyone had something different. The divers told me fins are left to individual choice.
Hi, Walter. If you have been to NDSTC then you know that the training done covers a very wide range of naval diving including even the Experimental Diving Unit. You are right that fins are USUALLY left to invidual choice, however it is not the same to be training for general naval deep sea diving work, deep saturation diving, EOD, combat diving or SAR. The Teams don't train at Panama City but at Coronado and Little Creek. The fins go with the job at hand.

Now this contradicts what I've heard elsewhere, namely that the OMS Slipstreams are NOT as stiff as the SP Jets. Hmmm...

At the risk of asking a somewhat pedantic-sounding questions, how are you "measuring" relative stiffness of one vs the other?

... with my feet ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

It is of a matter of curiosity and I am sure that there would be a lot of posters about it, so why not right? Especially, I am sure that the tech divers or old school guys would love to leave their input. Please post away.

Both, I am sure is used for the military and both are over 30 years old technology plus they are both about the same price and material construction. Has anybody used the Aqualung rocket fins? I always read about the Scubapro jets and just wandering why.

Aqualung rocket fins are horrible. Worst fins I've ever owned. My preference is Mares Power Plana Graphites (circa 1987).

Well, the "military" does use Rocket Fins (mostly Rocket II these days) but I am sure your opinion would be given consideration. The fins have to be used in a variety of situations, including diving with CCRs just under the surface, parachuting into the water, heli water drops, exits from a sub and so on....

The military also pays a 1,000 dollars for a hammer. I have owned and used Rockets since they came out and still have two pairs, left over, one new and my wife has the Mini Rockets. Compared to Power Planas or Super Jets they are like wearing lead chunks on your feet. The military is not the end all know all. There were not any WMD in Iraq either so best sometimes check what the civies use, we have a choice, maybe they don't.

The only time I would bother with Rockets is during a vintage "era" dive when I am modeling myself years ago before I knew any better.

N

The only time I would bother with Rockets is during a vintage "era" dive when I am modeling myself years ago before I knew any better.

N

That's when I use Duck Feet, vintage, yet still an excellent fin.

Reactions: Cfn
That's when I use Duck Feet, vintage, yet still an excellent fin.

Yeah, but then that would be when I am modeling you instead of myself as I am not really old enough to have had only palm fronds or UDTs as a flipper choice.:lotsalove:

Looking forward to my dive in Silver Springs, I think I will use Voit Vikings for that.

N

It depends on the individual I guess. I have a pair of fins that consists of one Rocket and one Jet (the mates dry rotted) and I can't tell the difference in how they kick. Well, I don't swim in circles at least and I don't pay attention to which fin is on which foot, they feel the same to me. Unfortunately the foot pockets are much too small for my drysuit boots so I have different fins for dry diving.
Ber :lilbunny:

It depends on the individual I guess. I have a pair of fins that consists of one Rocket and one Jet (the mates dry rotted) and I can't tell the difference in how they kick. Well, I don't swim in circles at least and I don't pay attention to which fin is on which foot, they feel the same to me. Unfortunately the foot pockets are much too small for my drysuit boots so I have different fins for dry diving.

pervert :rolleyes:

:D

BWAHAHAHAHA! You have NO idea :eyebrow:

Well, if you would not wear the Jet upside down I think it would help. Did you cut about four inches off the Jet because my SuperJets (Jet XL now) are about four inches longer than my Rockets. There may have been a larger Rocket, don't know for sure, mine are the standard size version.

One thing, the smaller size Jets with the shorter blades are not an equal to the Jet XL. That is one thing I would change, size L Jets should have the same balde size as the XL but they do not. Still, the Jet of any size is a better fin than the Rocket.

Notice the Jet beside the horrid Rocket.

DSCF0217.jpg

N

Back
Top Bottom