Scubapro Jets or Aqualung rocket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Several years later, Son Dr Sam IV performed a series of fin test with out the stiff blade Ducks & Aqua lung, the best over all was the Plana, followed by the Jets and down the line the Rockets.

Ten years ago I published a rather extensive three part article in Historical Diver called "A short history of Fins" Tracing fin development from long forgotten Havlor Olsen to De Courlier (S) to Churchhill to many long forgotten but key stone designs of the 1930- to 1990s.

The best over all fin was the very early gum rubber Duck Foot made by Spearfisherman of Laguna Beach, then the Swimaster Voit models, followed by the early Planas, Jets and way down was the Rockets.

Which model Planas? The original Planas, or the power Planas or the Graphite Power Planas?

What are the best spring straps to go with the Jets?

NOT Halycon, give Waywardson here on scubabash. He has some nice ones for a good price.

Yes, Dr Sam, hope I can make it to PQ. I shall try.

N

NOT Halycon, give Waywardson here on scubabash. He has some nice ones for a good price.

Yes, Dr Sam, hope I can make it to PQ. I shall try.

N

A second on the Waywardson straps.

it's funny, I dove rockets for years & never thought them to be a bad fin. Now I find out they're crap, oh well, LOL

I started diving as a kid living on an Air Force base in Turkey in the early 1970's. Couldn't get scubapro anything, we lived via mail order catalogs. So US Divers was real popular in the dive club, though we had a large mix of other gear. As a kid, I got & used min-rockets, wore them with tennis shoes. Later, about age 16 I got regular rockets.

I finally switched to jets in 2004 when one of the rockets started a small crack on a blade. My daughter uses them still, but at some point this pair is doomed.

I like the jets fine, but I've never done an actual comparison in the water, same day, same conditions, just swapping out fins to see what I can tell. Maybe I'll try it some day in a spring, if I think to take the rockets with me.

Seems like Jets win over Rockets. Are Split fins better than Rockets too?

I have been using Jet Fins (XL) for the last 6-7 years.

During the past months I have found several Aqua Lung Rocket Fins (used by the Israeli Military). Some have the same strapping system like Jetfins, others have a Quick Release Buckle that I hate. Some fins had the size written "One Size Fits All"- yeah, sure. Others are size "1" and "2" which are slightly shorter than my XL jets.

I put a pair of size "2" Rockets on for a few dives.

Frog kicking, Backwards, Helli etc. they are just fine- couldn't feel any difference between them vs. Jets.

Flutter kick? Huhh? Did I try fluttering with the Rocket fins? Compared to the jets, I felt that I cannot do flutter kick at all. Horrible. I find it hard to imagine that such a tiny difference in the blade design (mainly the tiny holes in the jets- am I missing something?) can make such a difference.

For me it's enough- never thought the commando guys can find such fins useful, but who cares- let them have the rockets, ugghh. I stick with the Jets :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom