Scubapro Jets or Aqualung rocket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

castanagajt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
It is of a matter of curiosity and I am sure that there would be a lot of posters about it, so why not right? Especially, I am sure that the tech divers or old school guys would love to leave their input. Please post away.

Both, I am sure is used for the military and both are over 30 years old technology plus they are both about the same price and material construction. Has anybody used the Aqualung rocket fins? I always read about the Scubapro jets and just wandering why.

Jet's have a simpler attachment for straps, particularly important if/when you swap out the original straps for springs...

Rockets:
UDRFR.JPG

Jets:
scpfj.jpg

I use the Rockets with the springs. What would you like to know?

Have tried both and you will have to pry my jets out of my cold dead hands.....Love those fins!

I have the Rockets due to being in between the Jets XL & XXL sizes. They are very stiff, but I've never dove the Jets, so can't compare. My guess based on the popularity of the Jets is that the Jets are a better fin.

Jet's have a simpler attachment for straps, particularly important if/when you swap out the original straps for springs...

What RJP said :D

My first fins (in 1976) were Rockets, and had a more basic strap/buckle than the current Rockets do. I loved them. But after 30 years, the rubber was cracking and they needed to be retired :(

My current fins are Jets, with aftermarket spring straps. I love them even more than my old Rockets, and I expect they will last for my next 30 years of diving :D

Are Rockets / Jets heavy and stiff?? Hmmm .... not sure how to answer that. They don't seem at all that way to me, but I never felt the need to use anything other than Rocket / Jet fins for scuba.

I think the reason a lot of "old timers" and tech divers use them is that:

1. They are bullet proof, especially with spring straps.
2. They work well for all types of kicks
3. They provide great thrust when needed (provided you have the leg-power :D ).
4. They come in any color you want (as long as you want black).

After market spring straps are available to fit virtually any fin out there ... so that shouldn't influence your decision.

Can't speak for the Rockets, but I own a pair of Jets ... and until I tried the OMS Slipstreams I thought they were the best fin for me. The Slipstreams are made of a lighter weight material, and are slightly stiffer than the Jets. What that meant for me was more acceleration when I wanted fast power (as in chasing after a turtle or manta ray that was swimming away from me) ... and more thrust on the back kick.

Sorry to confuse the issue by tossing another fin into consideration ... but if you're planning to travel and weight is a concern, the lighter weight Slipstreams might be worth taking a serious look at.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

OMS Slipstreams. Same "style" as the Rockets and Jets, at about half the weight. I put spring straps on mine and kept the regular straps (similar to the attachment jets have) as save-a-dive kit parts.

And exactly for the 4 reasons LeadTurn cited. They are resin instead of rubber so they do show wear, but I don't care about that.

After market spring straps are available to fit virtually any fin out there ... so that shouldn't influence your decision.

Can't speak for the Rockets, but I own a pair of Jets ... and until I tried the OMS Slipstreams I thought they were the best fin for me. The Slipstreams are made of a lighter weight material, and are slightly stiffer than the Jets. What that meant for me was more acceleration when I wanted fast power (as in chasing after a turtle or manta ray that was swimming away from me) ... and more thrust on the back kick.

Sorry to confuse the issue by tossing another fin into consideration ... but if you're planning to travel and weight is a concern, the lighter weight Slipstreams might be worth taking a serious look at.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
I agree with you my slip streams are much better then the rockets or jet fins. I own all three and only diving with the OMS Slipstreams. Lighter weight, less fatigue after dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom