Scubapro Jets or Aqualung rocket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was diving the rockets for nearly two years. I'm now diving a fin that I'm not yet allowed to talk about. Really. The manufacturer sent me these to test. I took em to Bonaire and this past weekend dove em in drysuit and doubles. They ain't goin back! Perform like my rockets or blades and are easy on the legs like splits. Can do all my kicks including back and helicopter turns. I wish I could give a full report. Issue with the rockets are they only come in two sizes. The original which says one size fits all- it does not. And the super which has a bigger foot pocket. IMO it won't fit anything bigger than a size 10 mens foot. They do work well if you can get em to fit.

I used Rockets a lot. It is only my experience but I have been able to wear out Rockets. I have torn foot pockets and have a pair or two that dry rotted and the rubber cracked in the foot pocket area. I have a pair of Jet Fins that are about 34 years old and are still like new.
All my Rockets had the same style buckle attachment as the Jets but the newer Rockets are different. If I had to pick between them I would go with the Jets. In fact, I have never seen a pair of cracked Jet Fins. I have seen many Rockets in bad shape.

The Slipstreams are made of a lighter weight material, and are slightly stiffer than the Jets. What that meant for me was more acceleration when I wanted fast power (as in chasing after a turtle or manta ray that was swimming away from me) ... and more thrust on the back kick.

Now this contradicts what I've heard elsewhere, namely that the OMS Slipstreams are NOT as stiff as the SP Jets. Hmmm...

At the risk of asking a somewhat pedantic-sounding questions, how are you "measuring" relative stiffness of one vs the other?

I have used both and the Scuba pro fins are much, much better than the Useless diver Rockets. They look pretty similar but there is a huge performance difference, although I do not know why.

As to longevity of the scuba pro fins, I have broken many of them, The blades split from the foot pocket at the rail, but this is only from abuse like wrestling with fish or kicking madly as you try to snatch a lobster that has shot out of a hole.

I have not used jet fins in probably 4 yrs now since the long freedive fins push me much more efficiently, but of course I can't seem to swim backwards with them.

I've used both, they are not remotely the same fin. Rockets are one of the poorer fins I've tried, Jets are the best I've ever used.

I haven't tried slip streams yet, but I have tried rockets, quattros, turtles, and several other paddle fins and split fins. I always come back to my Jets. They are the best fins I've ever used. One pair of Jets will literally last a lifetime of diving. :palmtree: Bob

I used Rockets a lot. It is only my experience but I have been able to wear out Rockets. I have torn foot pockets and have a pair or two that dry rotted and the rubber cracked in the foot pocket area. I have a pair of Jet Fins that are about 34 years old and are still like new.
All my Rockets had the same style buckle attachment as the Jets but the newer Rockets are different. If I had to pick between them I would go with the Jets. In fact, I have never seen a pair of cracked Jet Fins. I have seen many Rockets in bad shape.

I've got a pair of Rockets that are 30 years old and going strong.

On the issue of size noted a couple of posts back, I did pick up a set of Rocket II for my dry suit.

On the issue of buckles, the original and the Rocket II, in both the regular and Super are available with either the metal traditional buckles or the new quick release. Either is easily converted to Spring Straps if that is what you prefer.

Personally, I Frog Kick 90% of the time and have found the Rockets fine for this. Also use Rocket II for work, which is mostly surface swimming, either flutter kick or a modified side stroke.

It is of a matter of curiosity and I am sure that there would be a lot of posters about it, so why not right? Especially, I am sure that the tech divers or old school guys would love to leave their input. Please post away.

Both, I am sure is used for the military and both are over 30 years old technology plus they are both about the same price and material construction. Has anybody used the Aqualung rocket fins? I always read about the Scubapro jets and just wandering why.

The Rocket Fins are not anything like Jets. They may look superficially similar but that is where the comparison stops. They are as different as day and night. Yes, I have both and have used both.

I have no idea what the military uses but if they are using Rocket Fins then they need to go look for something a little better.

N

I have no idea what the military uses but if they are using Rocket Fins then they need to go look for something a little better.

N

Well, the "military" does use Rocket Fins (mostly Rocket II these days) but I am sure your opinion would be given consideration. The fins have to be used in a variety of situations, including diving with CCRs just under the surface, parachuting into the water, heli water drops, exits from a sub and so on....

When I watched a class at the Naval Diving and Salvage Training Center, I saw all the students were wearing Rockets, none of the instructors were. The instructors were like us, everyone had something different. The divers told me fins are left to individual choice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom