Scubapro Jet fins.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alo100:
I am not sure if this is the right question for this thread, pls excuse me if this is not the perfect place for it.
I looked at OMS Slipstream the other day, it's identical to Jets, would it deliver the same power, if not, would it be easier for the kicks?

BTW, I am sure Jets is v. v. good, not intended to argue about it.
I have not heard anything definitive re the same power or not, although anecdotally they seem close.

People primarily choose OMS over Jets when they are foot heavy and have issues keeping their legs in proper trim, since they are not as heavy. I would guess a mojority of people benefit from the weight, and list that as a positive for the Jets, but for those that don't, the OMS fins are a great option. Weight issues aside, they are nearly identically shaped so they kick pretty much the same as regular Jets, as far as alternate kicks and such.

They cost more, naturally, so I'd stick with Jets unless you need the weight characteristics of the OMS fins.

As for spring straps, I don't care for the tube-style straps (they're not comfortable to me), and prefer more of a heel cup (esp. one with a good pull loop), so I use these reasonably priced straps with my Jets: http://www.divesports.com/mall/innovative_acc_springstrapsjetfins.asp

CompuDude:
I have not heard anything definitive re the same power or not, although anecdotally they seem close.

People primarily choose OMS over Jets when they are foot heavy and have issues keeping their legs in proper trim, since they are not as heavy. I would guess a mojority of people benefit from the weight, and list that as a positive for the Jets, but for those that don't, the OMS fins are a great option. Weight issues aside, they are nearly identically shaped so they kick pretty much the same as regular Jets, as far as alternate kicks and such.

They cost more, naturally, so I'd stick with Jets unless you need the weight characteristics of the OMS fins.

As for spring straps, I don't care for the tube-style straps (they're not comfortable to me), and prefer more of a heel cup (esp. one with a good pull loop), so I use these reasonably priced straps with my Jets: http://www.divesports.com/mall/innovative_acc_springstrapsjetfins.asp

I saw those straps for the first time today. Would probably be very comfortable especially with a light soft sole neoprene booty.I would probably lose the loop though.

On the matter of the lighter OMS fins v. Jets, (pardon the hijack) has anybody actually determined the difference in buoyancy? I was reading a thread the other day which I am now unable to find, in which a number the posters thought that because Jets weigh about 3 # each, they would be 3 pounds negative.
I think that is nonsense, but can't find my fish scale to conduct a test.
I am not a cultish Jet guy, but I don't believe it is only the mold which makes them so successful. And it's not just about power.

Splitlip:
I saw those straps for the first time today. Would probably be very comfortable especially with a light soft sole neoprene booty.I would probably lose the loop though.

On the matter of the lighter OMS fins v. Jets, (pardon the hijack) has anybody actually determined the difference in buoyancy? I was reading a thread the other day which I am now unable to find, in which a number the posters thought that because Jets weigh about 3 # each, they would be 3 pounds negative.
I think that is nonsense, but can't find my fish scale to conduct a test.
I am not a cultish Jet guy, but I don't believe it is only the mold which makes them so successful. And it's not just about power.

Clearly weight and buoyancy have nothing to do with each other (think aircraft carrier). That said, I have Jets and they are obviously negatively buoyant (by how much, I don't know; sure others will chime in). The descriptions I have seen for the Slipstreams all note the fins are neutral (again, not the case with Jets).

Jets sink quite quickly if you lose them in surf, as many, many SoCal divers can attest. LOL

OMS, as noted, are neutral or close to it.

Weight on land is different from buoyancy, of course, but the observed differences in the water are real.

CompuDude:

Thanks for all the replies, finally got the picture of how the fins are like.
Yes, I could feel the material and the weight dfference when I put them on my hands, but was kind of courious about the reason for the price difference....

alo100:
Thanks for all the replies, finally got the picture of how the fins are like.
Yes, I could feel the material and the weight dfference when I put them on my hands, but was kind of courious about the reason for the price difference....
OMS considers itself a high end, boutique brand, and prices itself accordingly.

They make very good stuff, but you can do the same or better for less $ in almost every instance, IMO. This is one item which is unique, of course, and has no exact counterpart to provide competition, however, so they are free to charge what they want for it.

CompuDude:
, so they are free to charge what they want for it.

Which according to the retail prices listed on LP is $10 less than the Jets. Just happens the Jets are marked down further. It's a $15 difference- not going to break the bank for a pair of fins that will last a long, long time. I've also seen the Slipstreams for closer to $70 new, which puts them within $5. If you're willing to have used, you can find excellent deals on both (though obviously more Jets around).

Packhorse:
I just brought some second hand. Have not tried them yet.
Where were yours made?

They were made in the USA. It's molded into the bottom of the fin in the foot section.

take care,
Mitch

China then? Walmart City? USA does not equal U.S.A. as Walmart has clearly shown and tricked the public into buying made in USA when USA is a city they created that is not here.

Cynical viewpoint, but a USA stamp means nothing anymore.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom