Scubapro Galileo 2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, don't see any reason why an algorithm that takes into account actual bio factors would be any worse, especially higher breathing rate, which, theoretically, might tie to increased gas absorption.

To the best of my knowledge, that is 100% incorrect. Your tissues are exposed to the same partial pressure of nitrogen whether you are breathing fast or slow. So, you will on-gas and off-gas the same, no matter what your breathing rate is.

I had an unfortunate incident with a Galileo a few years back on a New Jersey wreck. After 20 mins of a leisurely dive, the heart rate transmitter belt erroneously reported my heart rate to be "too high". Went from 81 bpm to 164 bpm. Then an alarm and then shutdown. I saw this in the display right before the computer shut down in the middle of the dive. Fortunately I had another computer and an analog SPG as back up. That was the last time that I ever used biofeedback on a dive. The computer remained in lock out mode for 24 hrs.

I believe you can turn that feature off and still display the heart rate which is interesting to review after the dive.

By the way I had a look at the G2 at my local dive shop and the full package does not include the bungee mount. It comes with a retractor adapter but no bungee.

I just had a look at the manual and it looks like the holes for bungees are built into the wrist unit.

Last edited:
My dive buddy is a cardiologist. He thought that the computer double counted an elevated T wave. Said that it's quite common with cheap devices. Not a problem if it does not shut down the computer.

To the best of my knowledge, that is 100% incorrect. Your tissues are exposed to the same partial pressure of nitrogen whether you are breathing fast or slow. So, you will on-gas and off-gas the same, no matter what your breathing rate is.

Stuart, that is interesting. If so, then what is the basis for the belief that workload increases the chance of DCS? Or, has this been discredited and I just haven't seen that?

Stuart, that is interesting. If so, then what is the basis for the belief that workload increases the chance of DCS? Or, has this been discredited and I just haven't seen that?

My guess is that increased workload increases CO2 that is retained in your lungs. Also, possibly that increased workload increases production of microbubbles in the tissues. I think either or both could be contributing factors to a DCS hit.

Does the G2 work with the old Galileo Sol transmitter?

I read somewhere (here on SB, I think) that ScubaPro has had 3 different generations of their transmitter and that the G2 is compatible with all of them.

I paired my G2 with my old Luna's transmitter no problems. Not sure what type I have but its not the latest LED type.

See post #23 regarding transmitter compatibility, from the G2 owner's manual

"Bio factors" is the reason why I will not be getting one. Extraneous data that contributes nothing to the overall user experience. I'm not sure why SP continues to be the leader in useless feature creep. They must be getting help from Microsoft in this regard.

It would be interesting to know what research they use to determine how the calculations adjust based on workload.

It seems to be commonly held that increased workload increases the chance of DCS and dive times should be adjusted accordingly. But, no one, for any algorithm, seems to have data-based knowledge about when to begin the adjustment (ie how much work triggers the higher risk) or how much to reduce the NDL to compensate. It seems most divers make a guesstimate about this (i.e. "cut the dive a few minutes short" of the NDL"). So, don't see any reason why an algorithm that takes into account actual bio factors would be any worse, especially higher breathing rate, which, theoretically, might tie to increased gas absorption.

The concept of using heartrate and breathing rate to make calculations seems sound, but how Scubapro implements it is a mystery. Does anyone know what the data actually says about this issue in any case? Do high exertion dives that stay within the NDLs of most common algorithms result in statistically significant higher instances of DCS or doppler-verified bubble formation?

This feature is not a reason to not buy it, though, as using these adjustments is purely optional. I have the same option on my Sol but do not use it, precisely because I do not know how much I am being penalized or if I am losing bottom time unnecessarily.

See post #26 regarding Buhlmann ZH-L8 ADT and L16 ADT. The "human factors" may be included in Alfred Buhlmann's description of the model. There is discusssion of L-8 ADT in Mark Powell's, Deco for Divers, I don't have it with me in Florida.

On page 43 of the manual, there is short discussion of the workload adjustment. It appears to be based on the uneven distribution of the additional blood flow associated with increased work, as reflected by increased heart and breathing rates. It is stated that the workload adjustment can be entirely inactivated. I wonder if this is then the standard ZH-L16C many of us are used to? Of course it cannot be adjusted with GFs, only by adjusting the microbubble setting and the human factors. Personally, I would like to understand more about the Scubapro algorithm, the algorithm variables, and the effect they have.

Anyone has some more information about this Computer?
The G2 is the hottest product to hit the SCUBA market. Sorry, I have not responded to posts, but I have been too busy getting divers into this great new dive computer.

I just read some feedback I found interesting. Linus, one of the primary developers of Subsurface, the dive logging and planning software, bought a G2 for himself and just got back from a dive trip where he used it. This is what he posted to the Subsurface email list:

I have now actually used the G2, and I rate it an "OK" dive computer.

It has reasonable features, it works fine, there's nothing strictly wrogn with it.

But...

It's not a *great* dive computer. The UI is a bit cluttered while diving, except in the simple mode (which I preferred overall), but that simple mode is a bit _too_ simple and shows RBT or NDL (it shows whichever is closer) but not both.

And the automatic safety stop behavior is pure garbage. Apparently that's a case of "we've always done it that way, so we're doing it that way now too", but I haven't used previous Uwatec/Scubapro dive computers, so I know how it *should* work, and the G2 simply doesn't do it right.

So there are no show-stoppers, but there are a couple of annoyances.

My EON Steel easily remained my favorite dive computer during that trip.

Dirk was diving his Perdix AI, and liked it a lot. So I got one for myself (hey, I like tech toys, and my excuse was that I needed it for bluetooth testing anyway). It looks good, and you do get used to the buttons after a while (my bluetooth testing caused me to use them a lot to go into the bluetooth mode :wink:

But I haven't been diving the Perdix AI yet myself, so maybe I find some annoyance. The screen layout looks very good though, it hits all my "simple and clean and gives me everything I care about in consistent places" requirements.

I don't know what the pricing is like in other countries, but here in the U.S. where the Perdix AI is less expensive than the G2, this just reinforces what I already thought - that I would definitely buy a Perdix AI over a G2, even if I did not actually need the extra capabilities that the Perdix offers (again, assuming the Perdix is also less expensive).

Back
Top Bottom