Scubapro Galileo 2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I paired my G2 with my old Luna's transmitter no problems. Not sure what type I have but its not the latest LED type.

Hmmm.

Before everyone goes off half-cocked and excited, remember this is the same ScubaPro that put out a new hardware version, and had a bunch of people turn in their old, working trimix Sol computers, only to find they could not put the trimix capability on the "new" Sol they got.

We, the newest Sol owners, are hanging here with our collective butts in the wind with no support and no date to restore Trimix, from ScubaPro.

Imagine how they will stand behind this new POS.

We waited for the original Trimix load for what, four-five years?

Then when we bought the 'new' Sol, we get this message on the website?

Don't trust them. They went back on their "parts for life" guarantee, and on their Trimix for Sols.

upload_2017-6-12_18-48-28.png

Had my first dive with the G2 today, loved the colour screen plus using the heart monitor. Spent much of the dive looking at the computer instead of the Dusky Whaler Sharks :). It took a little time to get used to the smaller screen after my luna but overall very good, very happy. Using the compass is excellent and downloading the dive data to my Iphone Logtrak app and into my MacBook is so simple, thank god they dropped the IRDA interface that was a total pain in the backside so much so I never bothered.

I got to play with the g2 at the LDS. Made me an hour late for work, but I'll be buying one soon.

I've been looking at the Shearwater as well, especially the new AI unit, but Ive been waiting for the new scubapro's unit to compare the two. One of my local dive shop's staff were allowing divers to hold and play around with their staff's personal G2 units. They showed how easy it was to set up screens and move through settings. Unit was smaller than the sol and Luna but was bright with a large enough display. I like that the firmware will be upgradeable with any future updates.

"Bio factors" is the reason why I will not be getting one. Extraneous data that contributes nothing to the overall user experience. I'm not sure why SP continues to be the leader in useless feature creep. They must be getting help from Microsoft in this regard.

It would be interesting to know what research they use to determine how the calculations adjust based on workload.

It seems to be commonly held that increased workload increases the chance of DCS and dive times should be adjusted accordingly. But, no one, for any algorithm, seems to have data-based knowledge about when to begin the adjustment (ie how much work triggers the higher risk) or how much to reduce the NDL to compensate. It seems most divers make a guesstimate about this (i.e. "cut the dive a few minutes short" of the NDL"). So, don't see any reason why an algorithm that takes into account actual bio factors would be any worse, especially higher breathing rate, which, theoretically, might tie to increased gas absorption.

The concept of using heartrate and breathing rate to make calculations seems sound, but how Scubapro implements it is a mystery. Does anyone know what the data actually says about this issue in any case? Do high exertion dives that stay within the NDLs of most common algorithms result in statistically significant higher instances of DCS or doppler-verified bubble formation?

This feature is not a reason to not buy it, though, as using these adjustments is purely optional. I have the same option on my Sol but do not use it, precisely because I do not know how much I am being penalized or if I am losing bottom time unnecessarily.

Back
Top Bottom